INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Losmandy Gemini does not react to slew limits?

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I'm trying to make a remote setup of Indi/Ekos work with a Losmandy Gemini G11. Most things seems to be working now, except that the slew limits on the mounts are not respected.

I start the remote server with:
$ indiserver -v indi_lx200gemini indi_qhy_ccd indi_gphoto_ccd

Then connect Ekos (Kstars - Ekos - Connect remote), and it seems to work nicely. However, when I slew with Kstars and when the object is too far off to west or east, the mount slews beyond the limits, even until the slew is blocked. This is where I would expect the mount to do a meridian flip - but it doesn't.

Same is true if I slew manually in the Indi control window. I can slew until the mount blocks movement. I can set some limits for "elevation" in the Mount tab, but if I understand correctly that is something else, or do I misunderstand it? If these are what I should set, could you explain how?

The mount also turns up as LX200 generic, not Losmandy Gemini.

Magnus
8 years 3 months ago #6061

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What slew limits? The only limits are the one in the mount tab.
8 years 3 months ago #6062

Hi!

Yes, well. The Gemini allows setting of limits, so the mount won't crash into itself, when slewing in RA. When I use ASCOM, these are read by the driver, and the mount does a meridian flip correctly when it approaches the limits. These are called "RA safety limits" in the manual and in the menus on the Gemini. Does it make sense, do you see which limits I mean?

It seems the LX200 driver in INDI does not read these. Right? The limits in the mount tab are called "elevation", and I'm not sure what that is at all.

Magnus
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Magnus Larsson. Reason: Misspelling
8 years 3 months ago #6067

So it looks like these are "software limits", i.e. they are not enforced by the hand controller, but by the driver only? or are those limits set purely in the software? The altitude limits in the mount tab is prevent the mount to going below or higher than a particular limit.
8 years 3 months ago #6069

• Thank you received: 19
The limits are complied with by the hand controller, btw.
8 years 3 months ago #6073

• Thank you received: 2
to revive this thread, it is extremely important for the limits to be respected otherwise the Dec saddle will run into the RA motor (been there, done that). Now, there is a function in the hand controller that is called "Western slew limit" and this is the meridian flip point where it equates to = Westerm limit - Western goto limit. You HAVE TO set these right with respect to your own equipment. I will explain further is someone needs more detail.
8 years 1 month ago #6993

Hi!
Yes, I was there very much last night as well. The limits set by handcontrol works, in that the mount stops and beeps. However, there is no meridian flip - it just stops. If you can explain how to enable a meridian flip when reaching the limit, I'd much appreciate it.

Magnus
8 years 1 month ago #6994

• Thank you received: 2
What i do is pretty simple, i flip before i reach the limit. Have you used the feature that is in the hand controller to know your limits?
8 years 1 month ago #6995

Hi!

Yes, limits are set with the handcontroller. What I'd need is an aotmatic flip, but what does happen, is that the scope hits the limit, starts beeping, and stays there until I wake up and come solve it...

So: is there a way to make an automatic flip, either when reaching limits set in hand controller, or when reaching some other reasonable limits?

Magnus
8 years 1 month ago #7010

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds