INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

file based interface for own made weatherstation

• Thank you received: 0
I build myself a weatherstation with a similar design than the INDI weatherstation (based on arduino, melix IR sensor BMP 185, etc. ....). The data are transfered to a raspi and the raspi is writing the weatherdata to RDD every 3 minutes. I am extracting the data from RDD to display them in a browser together with RDDgraphs generated every hour. I would like to stay with it and not move to the INDI weatherstation design.
Now the wish.
I would like the feature to retrive the data from RDD or a given fileformat like "json' stored in the filesystem to use it in EKOS scheduler in addition the the available interfaces.
7 years 3 months ago #13073

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 76
Maybe my indi weather driver might help it reads json from an http api. github.com/dokeeffe/cloud-rain-monitor/b...cloudrainmonitor.cpp
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Derek.
7 years 3 months ago #13075

Wow pretty complex, but thanks anyway. I am a User of INDI/Ekos not a developer although I do some coding myself.

I was thinking about something more simple like a ready to use plug into INDI/EKOS that reads the most recent data from RRD based on a configuration file that is giving the layout of the data elements stored in RRD i.e. % of cloud coverage. RRD provides an API see for example: oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdfetch.en.html
7 years 3 months ago #13096

Just to promote my idea a little more.
Find attached 2 screenshots of the data I retieve from RRD using rrd graph tool. It shows rain in %, luminace (day/night)% and cloud coverage % over two days. As you can see my rain sensor is not working propperly I need to add a heater to prevent showing e.g. 50% when it is just foggy outside but no rain. The second graph shows Tsky and Tamb.
I think it would be a nice feature for the INDI weatherstation as well to use RRD. Of course you can retrieve the most current sensor data as well just as plain values instead of a graph to feed it into Ekos.
If anybody is interested to build a prototype that provides an integration into INDI / Ekos I can provide a ready to use database with real data stored and a description of the layout (kind of data in what order). Attached you find a script listing for the creation of my rrd database. The sensor data are accessed by name e.g. "Tsky" (range -20 to 80), "clouds" (range 0 to 100) etc. .
RRD is GPL you find it here: oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/index.en.html
7 years 3 months ago #13113
Attachments:

Well, the solution is write an INDI driver that parses this data and presents them in the standard way. As far as the scheduler goes, the only thing it cares about is "Alert" status of the weather, it doesn't consider any other parameter.
7 years 3 months ago #13120

Hi Jasem, if start writing such driver it will take me several weeks until I have the basic knowledge and another several weeks until something is running. I think it would be better at least better for me ;-) if I could get a driver that is already prepared and I just extend it with the RRD extraction that provides the "Alert set to true if cloud_coverage > 80%" or so.
7 years 3 months ago #13132

Are you on github? If you start a new repo for this project, then add a detailed readme.md to the project I'll try my best to help with the indi driver bits.
You;ll have to add in the RDD and file reading bits, I'm not very good at that.
7 years 3 months ago #13170

• Thank you received: 5
Sorry to intrude but I'm following this thread with great interest. Making weather information available to all kind of systems is what I'm busy with right now.

RRDTool I used to work with for many, many years. I think it is a great tool for logging en graphical representing data. However I really think it should not be used as a data source. There are too many options to log data and therefore writing client software will be either difficult or very limited in usage.

I was thinking of making an INDI interface or driver which can subscribe or even publish to messages on a message broker. For all kinds of environmental data like temperature(s), switches, battery level, water level etc. I use a MQTT (Mosquitto) broker on a Raspi. This is extremely easy to use and is suitable for all kinds of data, in fact it is quite data independent.

Sorry again for breaking in but I did want to give you my 2cts.

Kind regards,
Gerard
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
7 years 3 months ago #13193

Hi Gerard,

Interesting, yes I think the use of event-driven message based protocols would be an interesting mix with indi. The idea of clients being able to subscribe to publishers would be great to have. For example if it starts raining, you dont really want to wait for the next poll to know. It would be good if clients could get events pushed to them.

D
7 years 3 months ago #13196

Time to create page: 0.706 seconds