Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
27 Feb 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.4.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers. Several improvements and enhancements are included in this release including native support for Cygwin and MacOS platforms in addition to Linux, BSD, and Windows (Client only).
Read More...

TOPIC: Satellite confusion

Satellite confusion 5 months 3 weeks ago #13483

I can see this possible with EQMod, but what about other mounts? Can there be a general solution for all mounts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Satellite confusion 5 months 3 weeks ago #13493

• Ihoujin
  • Ihoujin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I think their app output LX200 commands and then use EQMOD to convert it into ASCOM if necessary.
One thing to note though, I found in their forum that the MC firmware of many popular mounts such as skywatcher can't cope with rapid slew rate commands while near the zenith as it introduces a pause with each instruction at elevations somewhere above 70°

Satellite confusion 4 months 3 weeks ago #14232

• Ihoujin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I just made a total reinstall from scratch, and now this script gives me the error
Traceback (most recent call last): File "../Track.py" , line 21, in <module> import Py Indi
ImportError: No module named 'PyIndi'
How can I resolve this?

Satellite confusion 4 months 3 weeks ago #14233

• Ihoujin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Scratch that, I managed to install PyIndi. But now I get a similar error on line 25, "No module named 'ephem' ".
I installed ephem-3.7.6.0 via pip to no avail.

Satellite confusion 4 months 3 weeks ago #14302

• Ihoujin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I fixed my issues. So for the record if it helps others here's what I did.
1. I made double certain to follor the INDI instructions on installing Python
2. Upgraded pip3 by elevating it with sudo
sudo pip3 install --upgrade pip
3. Again with sudo, (important) installed Pyephem
sudo pip3 install pyephem

Satellite confusion 4 months 3 weeks ago #14315

Ihoujin wrote: It certainly should be possible to adjust the RA and DEC slewing rates independently.
They describe such a function they call a continuous tracking state for a sattrack app used with EQ-Mod.
http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/faqs/sattrack.html
Maybe if this is open source it can be ported over?
Edit: It's not open source, it's shareware.
I wonder if they would be willing to collaborate on a Linux port, as it appears to be Windows only.
At least this shows that custom slew rates + pulse guiding commands are possible for satellite tracking.
Their website: heavenscape
Their app in action: EQMODLX: Satellite Tracking

I tried the satellite tracker software some years ago with my EQ-6 mount and EQMOD. I tracked several satellites with good precision. Here you can see a video of Globalstar M030 with 8" f/5 newtonian telescope and EOS 550D:
and another video of Globalstar M003 that shows periodic flares from the satellite:

I also tried to track the ISS and some other satellites but there was the problem that tracking rates above 1000 arcsec/sec (iirc) weren't possible. If the speed changes at tracking rates above 1000 the motors stop for a short time and then start to re-accelerate. This means the mount "jumps" from position to position and doesn't catch the satellite because the ramp acceleration is too slow.
IIRC this is a "feature" of the Skywatcher motor driver to prevent damages on the stepper motors.

Maybe someone fixed this problem. Last time I tried the software was 2011 or 2012.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pauledd, Telecky

Last Edit: by fehlfarbe.

Satellite confusion 4 months 3 weeks ago #14326

fehlfarbe wrote: I tried the satellite tracker software some years ago with my EQ-6 mount and EQMOD. I tracked several satellites with good precision.

What software you were using?
BTW. These videos are really cool! I have just showed them to a friend of mine and at first she said I'm crazy looking at a white dot on the black backgroud. After I explained what it is, she just said "wooow" ;-)

Satellite confusion 4 months 3 weeks ago #14327

I was using SatelliteTracker from www.heavenscape.com/ and EQMOD/EQMODLX under Windows XP.
A similar program for INDI would be nice :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kaczorek

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica