INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polemaster in KStars

• Thank you received: 20

Polemaster in KStars was created by giorgio

I don't know if this has been asked before but I would love to see in KStars a feature to polar align the mount by imaging the celestial pole region. Exactly what the QHY Polemaster does. There's a GitHub project that has some code in Python, could this be embedded in KStars?
7 years 3 months ago #13254

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Yannic Delisle on topic Polemaster in KStars

+1

This feature now exists in Sharpcap 2.9 (Windows) where you do not need to buy a dedicated camera and an adapter to attach the camera to the PA scope, you use a either a guide scope with its camera attached or the main camera on the OTA. From what I read, it is working well and the precision is on par with polemaster or other methods.

I would also like to see this in INDI.
"Some people are so poor, all they have is money"
SW Black Diamond 80ED | SW150MAK | Newton SW 200/1000 | Orion 50mm Guider with Helical Focuser |Sirius EQ-G Rowan Belt Mode
Canon 1000D moded | ZWO ASI185MC | Baader Mark III Zoom
INDI | Stellarmate on RPI3B+ | Stellarium | Pixinsight
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Yannic Delisle.
7 years 3 months ago #13255

• Thank you received: 9
I vote for this also.
Polermaster and similar polar alginment method been discussed 3 mounth ago in this topic : indilib.org/forum/general/1456-a-complet...for-polar-align.html

Sebastien
7 years 3 months ago #13296

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Pepe on topic Polemaster in KStars

Hi,

having a pole alignment routine similiar to Polemaster would be great! Works like a charme in Sharpcap 2.9.

Clear skies!
Stephan
7 years 2 months ago #13828

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Polemaster in KStars

Can someone write a detailed description of how it works? It captures around polaris then asks you to adjust Alt/Az knobs until you center crosshair into some spot? If this is how it works, then it's mostly done in Ekos by "Correct Alt" and "Correct Az" buttons after you calculate the errors. But I guess it could be more user-friendly. Anyway, write a complete description please.
7 years 2 months ago #13830

Hi!

I think this paper gives a decent summary:

www.syracuse-astro.org/pdf/2012_August_R..._Alignment_Scope.pdf

CS
Stephan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 2 months ago #13833

there is also a git hub project (github.com/ThemosTsikas/PhotoPolarAlign) which refers to yet another paper:

www.considine.net/aplanatic/align.htm
7 years 2 months ago #13834

• Thank you received: 9
Hi Jasem,

you may find several videos on youtube descripe the QHY Polemaster procedure. This one is particulary intersting:

An advantage I see in such method is that it allows you to align the mount without the need to load it with the whole equipments. Indeed, mount like the EQ6 are _very_ difficult to adjust in ALT once loaded with the OTA and the counter wheights.

Sebastien
7 years 2 months ago #13845

Thanks. I'll add this to my TODO list. Will announce when it is ready for testing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vincent Groenewold
7 years 2 months ago #13859

So some update on this. All the methods assume a fairly wide FOV. In my setup, I have less than 1x1 degrees with main camera and even less on guide cam. Here are some issues:

1. Small FOV? Sometimes even the NCP is not in the image (in my case at edge on parking)
2. Southern hemisphere?
3. Astrometry fails close to celestial poles. Maybe large FOV resolves this?
4. Possible to do astrometry father away from poles, but even then, WCS info would be unreliable this close to the poles.

So how to proceed with this? It's possible to continue using the existing method which is slower than Polemaster but it works on each axis independently. FITS View is now embedded in Align module so it is possible to show visual cues on how to move and adjust without leaving the screen. If there is a method that can work with all the limitations above, please let me know.
7 years 2 months ago #14155

So it appears most problem are related to FOV issues. I'll try to see if I can solve today with ASI120M on Orion 50m guide scope.
7 years 1 month ago #14162

Hi,
the windows software sharpcap 2.9 implements the polar alignment routine. The author mentions that it works best with a finder scope of about 200mm. It seems that his software is not perfectly working at other focal length. I think he mentioned that somewhere in a forum posts ... which I can't find right now.

Maybe this helps:
www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/polar-alignment

I have seen many posts that report arc minute polar alignment using a simple viewfinder within a couple of minutes.

Best wishes
Stephan
7 years 1 month ago #14163

Time to create page: 0.832 seconds