INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Manual Focusing

• Thank you received: 28

Replied by Petar Milevski on topic Manual Focusing

Do you mean adding a tool which is something like this??

ideiki.com/astro/usersguide/bahtinov_aid.htm

I think that would be a great idea for people that dont have autofocusing.
5 years 11 months ago #25559

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic Manual Focusing

Whenever I (try to) focus my camera with a Bahtinov mask, I use the preview function of Ekos. It would be a great help if the preview window, that pops up, would have a zoom function. Or, if it already has one, if I knew how to use it :)
5 years 11 months ago #25579

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Manual Focusing

You mean looping? you can zoom with mouse wheel... or you are talking about something else?
5 years 11 months ago #25582

I am talking about the Preview button when taking an image with the main camera, right next to the Live View button. I am not using a mouse so there is no mouse button. I'll try swiping up and down with two fingers to see if that works. I tried + and - and they don't work IIRC.
5 years 11 months ago #25583

I finally had a chance to try this and unfortunately swiping up or down with two fingers on my MacBook while running Ekos on a Raspberry Pi3 and connecting via VNC doesn’t work. So my request remains: could you please add keyboard shortcuts to zoom in on the preview screen so I can try to reach better focus when using a Bahtinov mask? Many thanks in advance!!!
5 years 8 months ago #27446

• Thank you received: 94

Replied by alacant on topic Manual Focusing

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the same thing but even if you can zoom easily, it's not possible to focus:
www.indilib.org/forum/wish-list/3514-dsl...cusing.html?start=12
Cheers
5 years 8 months ago #27449

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Chris Guidry on topic Manual Focusing

I am also interested in using the Ekos Focus module without a motorized focuser. I am a hobbyist at this point, and at the hobby level, I can't afford any of the automated focusers I've found.

I was thinking that you might be able to pull this off with a "human-in-the-loop" focuser driver (not unlike the Focuser Simulator). Imagine if you could start the autofocus procedure, but when Ekos wants to focus in or out, the driver prompts you with a window that says "Focus in by about 10%". You as the human focuser would do that with your telescope as best you can, then click a "Continue" button. That would feed back through Indi that the focuser had moved, and then it would loop on to the next frame, update the V curve, and so on.

I don't know if this is feasible, or what units you would use to express to the human-in-the-loop for how much to focus, but it would be a great boon to amateurs like me who are working with lower-end equipment.

Another thought occurs to me, is this something the Focus module already supports? If you setup Ekos without a Focuser, then continuously click "Capture", will the focus detection algorithms process the images?
5 years 6 months ago #29301

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:RE: Manual Focusing

Yes the Focuser module can loop exposures for you do adjust your setup using a mask.

Sorry for coming in late to this thread.

In the Focuser tab, check "autoselect star" and "subframe" to automate things, then press "framing". Zoom to proper size using the transparent buttons on the top-left corner of the preview. You should now have all Ekos support to run a manual focusing. If using a mask, use the visual preview. If using HFR, use the V-Curve (or the HFR box under), the relative profile or the console to find the minimum.

If the DSLR driver is still dying on preview, we must fix that first (but that's a fairly old post). I used this method successfully with a DSLR and a mask, but also with a ccd until I printed an auto-focus controller. The issues with that method are the low reactivity and the fact that you need an access to your computer aside your setup.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Guidry
5 years 6 months ago #29305

• Thank you received: 94

Replied by alacant on topic Re:RE: Manual Focusing

Hi. Unfortunately when using a mask to focus, the preview subframe pixelates before a useful size is reached so you cannot see the pattern.
What would be very nice for dslr users is a x10 magnification in preview, like the one shown on the camera screen. Is there any way we can get that 10x camera screen view in ekos?
TIA
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by alacant.
5 years 6 months ago #29306

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Manual Focusing

Not sure I understand clearly. If the subframe is too small, you uncheck that option (and auto select star too), adjust the zoom level using the top-left buttons, move to the relevant star using the window sliders, and use "framing" to get repeated exposures for manual focusing. I'm probably missing your point...

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29341

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Chris Guidry on topic Manual Focusing

Thanks for the tips, everyone. "Framing" was exactly what I was looking for. Last night I was able to use it to manually focus my scope and get a V curve reading while I did it. The results were much better than I had been doing before. For people landing here from search engines:

If you want to manually focus your camera with Ekos, don't select a "Focuser" in your Ekos profile. When you start Ekos, INDI, and connect your devices, on the "Focus" module, you will see buttons for "Capture" and "Framing". "Capture" will capture a single frame for you to preview, and "Framing" will capture a continuous loop of frames. Click "Framing" and begin to adjust your scope's focus manually. The chart below will plot the V curve for your focus throughout. You should be able to achieve a relatively sharp focus. This is probably nowhere near as tight of a focus as you could get with a motorized focuser, but not bad either.
5 years 6 months ago #29349

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic Manual Focusing

I just enter in the discussion with a simple question.
To focus would it be possible to use the live view of the DSLR instead of successive captures in the looping process ? Which could be less stressing for the material.
And keep the capability to make hardware zooming on live view, like on the DSLR itself ?
5 years 4 months ago #31192

Time to create page: 0.391 seconds