INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon DSLR Preview Window

• Thank you received: 226
When I open a Canon DSLR preview, the window it opens for the video stream is enormous. Far larger than the display or stream resolution. I can resize it, but it does not remember if I disconnect the Camera in INDI. Resizing can be awkward over a mobile VPN connection. I think it would be more ideal if INDI opened a window set by default to the native resolution of the LiveView video stream from the DSLR. Thank you.
I am using a Canon T3i, on a Raspberry Pi 3 with lubuntu 16.04.
7 years 2 months ago #13397

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Andrew on topic Canon DSLR Preview Window

I noticed that the preview window calls upon the CCD Information XY resolution set in Image Info tab, which is generally automatically determined by taking an image. If I manually enter the liveview resolution of 1056x704 (Canon 600D), the preview window opens at that more reasonable size, whereas before it was opening a preview frame at 5202x3465, the size of a full frame taken in FITS. That is why it was so large. Could a new manual value for liveview resolution be made available that the preview function can call upon rather than having to change CCD information every time?

Edit: Changing the frame size in Image settings accomplishes the same thing as changing the CCD Info. So a new Preview Frame setting under Image Settings should be sufficient.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Andrew.
7 years 2 months ago #13442

• Thank you received: 6

hi
I had similar issue with my DSLR (60d) but found best workflow for me was setting the initial image size in the profile to a small JPEG, rather than RAW, enables very rapid framing/downloads (almost instant even on remote wifi with Raspberrypi). Once everything is set for the main imaging session I edit the profile back to full size RAW.
7 years 2 months ago #13699

I thought of that aswell. But was not as satisfied with the result as manually entering the native resolution of the live view stream. Which if set to 5x is pretty close to 1:1 pixel representation off my T3i's sensor.
7 years 2 months ago #13706

The video stream window now remembers its prior size among sessions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew
7 years 2 months ago #13713

Thank you!
7 years 2 months ago #13733

I think this may have broken the video stream's capture image function. Also did you include a way to manually enter a resolution, or would I have to change a configuration file?
7 years 2 months ago #13758

Yeah sorry about that it's fixed now. You don't need to edit anything, just resize and close the window and its state is saved. If you want to edit specifically, then edit the kstars config file located at ~/.config/kstarsrc and looking for streamWidth/height values
7 years 2 months ago #13759

With the recent addition of new video streaming and recording settings, the preview, and new streaming window sizes nolonger persist in a new session of kstars. While closing kstars does update the values in ~/.config/kstarsrc. It does not respect them when a new session is started, reverting to a default value of 'streamWindowWidth=563'
7 years 1 month ago #14266

I will check this today as there is another change coming. I am planning on adding a "mouse zoom select" where you highlight an area to zoom and the stream is subframed to that area. The streamWindowWidth would remain as is, the actual window width, but the raw stream width and height would be configurable either by the mouse zoom tool or in INDI Control Panel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo
7 years 1 month ago #14290

Would it be possible to add a reticle overlay as well?
7 years 1 month ago #14404

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds