INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Display at the scope

• Thank you received: 17
I am using an Rpi INDI server at the scope instead of a pc. My remote PC is well remote (in the house), The purpose of doing this was to eliminate the PC at the scope and having to run USB cables to a fixed pc that is protected from the elements. The Rpi is the solution for that. But now when I do polar alignment or manual focus I no longer have a screen at the mount to see the results of my adjustment. I can remote control the 'remote' pc from an Ipad, but that is cumbersome (to say the least). Is there a way to just open an outside connection in Ekos that a tablet at the scope could connect to just to see live camera (framing) feed? This way during polar alignment or focusing I could see just the imaging results at the tablet and make my adjustments accordingly.

thanks,
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 1 month ago #14787

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Display at the scope

You can use KStars Lite for Android or TeamViewer. I used the latter last time I performed polar alignment so I can see the correction vector. Maybe KStars Lite would support this at some point as well.
7 years 1 month ago #14791

• Thank you received: 32

Replied by Bill on topic Display at the scope

Jasem,

I am confused about your response, can I now screen grab the polar data on KStars Lite? I thought you were still working on that? Dont tease me bro. LOL :)
7 years 1 month ago #14792

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Display at the scope

Hey Bill. NOT Polar Data, but a view of the camera feed. This is why I said maybe KStars Lite would support this (polar correction vector plotting) at some point.
7 years 1 month ago #14793

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Display at the scope

Just setup a VNC server on your raspberry pi (ex. x11vnc) and connect to it from your pc/tablet/phone with any vnc client (ex. bVNC Free for android). It works like hell ;-)
7 years 1 month ago #14821

Replied by Ronald Scotti on topic Display at the scope

I tried and quick reply, but I did not see it come thru so I am posting again (sorry if it is a duplication). My setup is running Kstars on a PC, not on the Rpi. So VPN to the Rpi does not get me any access to an image from the camera. the Rpi is only running an INDI web server.

Also, the SBIG 8300M software (CCDops) has a focus option where you capture a subframe quickly and can see the image every second. Is there something like that implemented in the INDI driver for the SBIG cameras and is that an option in Ekos? I have only tried the focus (framing) option with my Lodestar and it retrieves images quickly anyway.

thanks,
Ron
7 years 1 month ago #14842

I just put Team Viewer on my KStars machine and on my phone. Works like a charm.
7 years 1 month ago #14844

Bill,
Yes I use TeamViewer, I have it on my IPAD and on my Kstars machine. It is just a pain to navigate thru it by finger touch. I guess what I am asking for is a separate program for focus or image display that runs on the Rpi that I can Wifi into just to see the output from focus or polar alignment. Note; I have not thought this thru, it is just a knee jerk response to want things convenient. I currently have the Rpi connected thru ethernet to the PC running Kstars (Ekos), so I can still WiFi into the Rpi, but as I said there is nothing to access there. I have not looked into running Ekos on the Rpi, although I understand this is an option, and may be the best way to go for now.

the subframe option on the SBIG is in their focus module and you set the frame size to planet. This produces a subframe that is quickly updated and easy to use to adjust focus on a star.

thanks,
Ron
7 years 1 month ago #14845

The Pi isnt doing the the Polar Alignment Routine you see in KStars. It is just controlling the mount. The machine you want to see the status of is the KStars machine. You can connect to that over WiFi and see the screen of the Polar Alignment Routine, focus, etc. I am confused what it is that you are asking for I guess?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronald Scotti
7 years 1 month ago #14847

Bill,
Thanks, I have finally just watched some of the video's associated with the 'new' Polar Alignment Procedure and I can see that I could use my Ipad to Teamview into the PC (running Ekos) to see the alignment vector. I have sort of tried that with another laptop and the issue is that it is slow (response between the laptop and the remote pc). But it may not be that bad if I have reached the stage where I am just making the physical correction (either polar alignment or focus). So far I have been trying to do too much over the teamviewer connection and that is cumbersome. I need to go thru the process several times to get my work flow figured out. Thanks for your help and support, this really is making a big difference in my ability to use my equipment on any given evening.

regards,
Ron
7 years 1 month ago #14849

No problem. I installed Team Viewer on my iPad to test it, and at least on my machine, it scales the view so everything looks perfect on my iPad screen. Thanks for mentioning the iPad app, as I will likely just use this, since I like to have Sky Safari next to me which I am doing anything with my scope.
7 years 1 month ago #14850

Time to create page: 0.734 seconds