INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stable release list of INDI & KStars versions

• Thank you received: 3
Does such a list exist? I ask because I recently made the dreadful mistake of running an old version of KStars 4.1 with INDI 1.4.1. That version of KStars was offered to me by Ubuntu, That is a pretty old version. It did not play well with INDI and caused me a great deal of confusion.

It would be nice to have a list that says, for example, INDI 1.4.1 requires KStars 4.4.0 or later, and so on. I know that INDI development is happening at a furious pace so it would be a challenge.
7 years 1 month ago #15301

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Well unless you have some sort of time machine and traveled to the future, KStars release now is 2.7.5. Where did you read INDI 1.4.1 requires KStars 4.4.0 or later?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ronald Haupt
7 years 1 month ago #15303

I didn't read it anywhere, that is the point of my post. Yesterday after I cleared all remnants of the old KStars version that Ubuntu installed for me, and INDI 1.4.1 that I downloaded from GitHub, I then followed links to get the "bleeding" versions. After installation, I launched KStars and it reported version 4.5.0 if I remember correctly (it is on another machine). So I just made that up as an example that INDI 1.4.1 might work with KStars 4.4.
7 years 1 month ago #15304

Sorry I just got the gist of your post. Ijust checked I am running KStars 2.7.5. I have no idea where I got that 4.5.0 from. Brain fart.
7 years 1 month ago #15306

wow ok it might have been a very old KStars version that was using KDE Applications version as its own version. The released version now is 2.7.5 and there will be a new 2.7.6 release soon. There are many clients for INDI 1.4.1, KStars is just one of them.
7 years 1 month ago #15307

Interesting, it has got me thinking. After I rolled back the mess I made yesterday, I installed KStars using Ubuntu's Software Manager. KStars, the main program seemed to work fine, but when I tried to run the Telescope Simulator, the INDI driver crashed. So this leads me to believe that the distribution that Ubuntu is serving to newbies like me suffers from a mismatch of KStars version and INDI version.

I will uninstall my working "bleeding" (sigh) and reinstall from Ubuntu, and see what I can discover.
7 years 1 month ago #15308

Jasem, is there a link to a list of available clients? I ask because I have an idea of my own.
7 years 1 month ago #15309

OK, here it is:

Ubuntu is distributing KStars version 2.4.0 (KDE 5.18.0)
INDI library: 1.1.0
Code Rev: 2039 Protocol 1.7

Also, I do not wish to contradict myself, but now "Telescope Simulator" works and "V4L2 CCD" works.

Please note that I had difficulty installing it.
It turns out that you need to make a change to the "Software & Updates" program accessible from "System Settings" (I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
Click the "Other Software" tab
You must uncheck anything that looks like "ppa.launchpad.net/mutlaqja/ppa/ubuntu xenial" (This is preventing KStars from launching)
Then try installing KStars.

In summary, I don't know what the deal was yesterday when INDI drivers were crashing. It is a big unknown to me. Somehow I think that the "ppa.launch" thing was messing things up (how do you like that for tech-speak!)

Anyhow from what I see, the "ppa.launchpad" thing doesn't negatively impact when I am running "bleeding". (Perhaps someone could explain to this Linux-newbie what the "H" this is :-)

To me it still seems like a reasonable thing to ask what version of KStars is compatible with versions of INDI. Is it backwards compatible?
7 years 1 month ago #15315

You can use KStars 2.4.0 and INDI 1.10, there are no problems with that. But do not expect support. I can only support the latest versions. PPA is daily build for INDI and kstars-bleeding used to be daily, but now it is released whenever it is ready. Here is a list of clients
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Morgan
7 years 1 month ago #15316

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds