INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

NGC Objects Thumbnails for object planner?

• Thank you received: 809
Ok. Here is what the same object currently looks like in the whats interesting view on my computer now. My thumbnail probably came from google images, I don't remember now. But I am planning to make some improvements in the image downloader as a part of this upgrade. Good sources for images are important. A bulk download might be a good approach but if you have a good method/source for getting images, I could include that for people that want to download one or two but not all.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 11 months ago #16144
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 9
I can't get the what's interesting feature to work right on my systems. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I only see a blank screen on the right side there.
6 years 11 months ago #16145

What is your system exactly? OS and Desktop environment? It's QML so it could be be acting funny on some systems.
6 years 11 months ago #16151

I have three completely different systems, but they are all running linux mint 18.1 (Sarah). That is most likely the common thread.
6 years 11 months ago #16152

Sorry. It's actually Serena, not Sarah. Attached is what I get when I try to run what's interesting. Again, since all three systems are linux mint 18.1, I suspect the issue is somewhere in there. Anything I should check for?
6 years 11 months ago #16153
Attachments:

In your data directory you should have a folder called tools, in it should be what's interesting and in that folder should be wiview.qml. Please check that this file is the most recent version. I suspect it might not have been copied properly on your system.
6 years 11 months ago #16154

I found the file in /usr/share/kstars/tools/whatsinteresting/qml. I am not sure what version it is, but it has a date stamp of Apr 2, 2017 at 14;57
6 years 11 months ago #16155

Yes I think that's the problem then, it changed a couple of times since then. You can try downloading that file and copying and pasting it in there.
6 years 11 months ago #16162

It seems odd that file isn't getting updated. Where do I download it from to test and see if that is the problem?
6 years 11 months ago #16167

I found a wiview.qml file out there listed as part of kstars source. I downloaded it and temporarily replaced it with the different version one. It did not make a difference in behavior. I still get a blank popup window and half of the kstars window goes blank. Are there any package or library dependencies that I could be missing here?
6 years 11 months ago #16168

I think I have the what's interesting problem at least partially solved. Apparently, Linux Mint does not install the the QT packages by default.

sudo apt-get qtcreator qtdelarative5-dev g++

This got things going, but it does pop up a separate window when launching. I am able to make the window go away by clicking the window box next to the X for the tool. Not sure what could be going goofy there. We may want to continue that discussion in a separate topic.
6 years 11 months ago #16170
Attachments:

I have confirmed installing those three packages has changed the behavior so that what's interesting launches and opens a separate window instead of embedding itself in the kstars window. Perhaps I am missing another QT or QML package? I suggest we make whichever of those 3 packages I installed (if not all) dependencies on installing kstars so this doesn't happen to someone else.
6 years 11 months ago #16172

Time to create page: 0.453 seconds