INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Video Astronomy like viewer (Live Stacking)

• Thank you received: 8
I am still in a playing phase with INDI (but aren't we all?). So I just use INDI to point to an object and have a look. Either visually or if I am lazy by taking an image sitting inside behind my desk. Well, a single image leaves much to be deserved, especially long exposures due to noise.
Wouldn't it be nice to have a live viewer that acts like the cameras used in video astronomy? Taking multiple exposures and stacking them thereby eliminating a lot of the noise. A lot of configurable post processing could be foreseen: Exposure time and amount of frames to be stacked, stretching the dynamic range of the resulting picture by selecting min and max, using different mappings (log, sqrt, ...).

Are there any plans in this direction?

I am currently experimenting with implementing a pure Python INDI camera client. Maybe it can act as a demonstrator for a live viewer.

Cheers
Guido
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo
6 years 1 month ago #22713

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Well, INDI is just drivers. So here you're talking about Ekos? There is "Live Video" button in Ekos, but it just displays frames as-is. If you'd like to contribute to Ekos to enable such functionality (Live Stacking..etc) that would be a very welcome addition. Ekos is written in Qt & C++.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
6 years 1 month ago #22721

You are right. I wrongly used the term INDI describing everything from drivers to clients. I also find it confusing that Ekos is described like a seperate program, but is actually a part of Kstars. There is no standalone Ekos as far as I know, isn't there?

I am not much into C++ and Qt, so I will continue experimenting with a Python viewer, but once I get some interesting result, I can still consider porting it to Ekos.

CS
Guido
6 years 1 month ago #22740

Correct no standalone Ekos, but it is often used to talk about that tools which is _within_ KStars. Good luck with the live viewer!
6 years 1 month ago #22764

• Thank you received: 57
Do you have your source on github or some other place?
Maybe I can put some affort into it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
5 years 2 months ago #34071

Sorry, I have not done much in this direction anymore as I had a lot of other distractions. E.g. currently I am building a GEM with OnStep control.

One year ago I experimented a bit with Python and Kivy (a GUI framework). I wanted to keep it pure Python so I used the INDI protocol implementation from sourceforge.net/projects/pygtkindiclient/ as a starting point. One reason to choose Kivy as a GUI was the idea to also port it to Android. However I got stuck because Numpy was not working with Python 3 on Android at that time.

CS
Guido
5 years 1 month ago #34271

Time to create page: 0.756 seconds