INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI Control Panel tab in Ekos

• Thank you received: 375
What about joining Ekos window and INDI Control Panel? I think that placing INDI Control Panel as another tab in Ekos would be good step towards improving user experience. What do you think?
6 years 1 month ago #23293

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Perhaps, but that would lead to tabs within tabs within tabs in the window. . .
More importantly, is there ever any time you want to look at and change settings on the control panel at the same time as you are manipulating settings in Ekos? I know I have done that before. Its hard to say whether it would help or hurt the user experience. But yeah, get more opinions, I am only one person.
6 years 1 month ago #23294

• Thank you received: 375
Well, in my case I tend to keep INDI Control Panel open all the time... however I use some custom drivers which are not integrated with Ekos. It's probably not everybody's world though. You're right re tabs within tabs, not perfect but might be a trade-off. More opinions are needed on this for sure.
6 years 1 month ago #23297

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic INDI Control Panel tab in Ekos

Me too, INDI panel opened all the time, even put it on another workspace, it would be nice to integrate it in ekos tabs.
6 years 1 month ago #23303

• Thank you received: 16
I'll add just a few thoughts here. Under the current layout and design of Ekos and the INDI control panel I would not combine them. As pointed out this would lead to rows of tabs layered inside of rows of tabs, which leads to more time digging just to get to what you want. I reference the INDI control panel often as well and feel that keeping them separate allows elements of EKOS and INDI to be visible at the same time in each respective window. In so doing it is easier to see the interaction between EKOS modules and the respective INDI elements.

I understand the desire, however, there should be considerable discussion and thought put into a design that would be quick and intuitive at both displaying information about the system and presenting the control buttons and boxes for user interaction. There can be an almost endless array of possibilities here, however in the end there has to be a balance of a simple and clean user interface while still providing the right information and content.
6 years 1 month ago #23309

• Thank you received: 226
I think if there are any interface changes to be made, it would be to unlink some of the windows from KStars.
For example the DSLR image viewer is tied to the main KStars window. It can not be moved to a different workspace or minimized without affecting KStars along with it. Other windows that exhibit this behavior include: Find Object, Observation Planner, What's Up Tonight... Virtually everything that can be opened form the menu bar.
Some of these would be nice to put aside without closing them to get access KStars. Also you can not use more than one such window at a time as the newest ones lock the rest.
6 years 1 month ago #23503

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds