INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Single Warning about cameras using either RAW or JPEG, and R+J

• Thank you received: 39
Reading through posts, I recalled an issue that was driving me nuts when I started using INDI/Ekos: Images were duplicated. They would be fine on the camera, but that was really frustrating on the solver and other issues. I'd have to take a frame, disconnect, reconnect and take another one.

I looked a lot and finally at some point I found a small (very non-prominent) mention somewhere in the documentation that said not to use Raw+JPEG. Which I like for most shooting, as it allows for faster browsing. (Time to load a jpeg from a card is significantly less than a RAW. For frames you are already going to process, it doesn't matter nearly as much.)

So to help new people out, a dismissible warning (similar to the To take a dark frame cover your scope/camera warning/notice) would be good. Possibly an option, which could be on by default, but a save would get rid of?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 11 months ago #25271

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Selecting anything with "+" in it should fail and resets to the previous value, this isn't happening??

EDIT: Tested on canon and this is what I get:

Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 11 months ago #25280
Attachments:

Unfortunately, for Nikon, that's not set there. Looking around I think there is a setting for it, but it's not showing up there. A quick test didn't seem to correct it on my D5300.

So for now, it needs to be set on the camera, to be either a JPEG mode, or (preferred) RAW.

Couple other possibilities of detecting it: File size changes drastically every other image. I think a warning, restricted to Nikon users would be the best solution? (Do any other non-Canon cameras have the issue?)
5 years 11 months ago #25561

Do you have your list listed under "Capture Format" property as I posted in the screenshot above?
5 years 11 months ago #25591

Unfortunately not.

I have found it under the capturesettings tab, but adjusting that seems to produce odd behavior. It works on the card (NEF (RAW) and JPEG produced), but the download from the camera goes from 50 MB to 70 MB, I checked the raw data in the files, and it doesn't seem to include the JPEG data or structures, so I don't know what's going on. Test 3 and 4 were taken with the setting changed. (Setting is RAW on the camera)

Oh, fun, after trying to set that again, it reset the camera. SO DEFINITELY NOT AN OPTION. (Not your fault, but I used the one with a broken control, and getting it back into bulb mode requires me to fix it. I'd been putting off getting the part to fix it (D5300s have a flex cable that's subject to breaking easily, this will be the second one I've replaced (I got both cameras used, and beat up.))

file output:
test-nikon2.fits: FITS image data, 16-bit, two's complement binary integer
test-nikon3.fits: FITS image data, 8-bit, character or unsigned binary integer
test-nikon4.fits: FITS image data, 8-bit, character or unsigned binary integer
test-nikon5.fits: FITS image data, 16-bit, two's complement binary integer
test-nikon.fits: FITS image data, 16-bit, two's complement binary integer

47M test-nikon2.fits
69M test-nikon3.fits
69M test-nikon4.fits
46M test-nikon5.fits
47M test-nikon.fits
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by james_lan. Reason: Added screenshot
5 years 11 months ago #25624
Attachments:

Can I get the log as well? I'd like to see why it was not defined like the regular canon.
5 years 11 months ago #25633

Sure, what email address should I send it to, or should I attach it here?

I don't think all of the debugging was enabled, and further testing will need to wait until the camera is back in bulb. (So whenever the part gets in.)
5 years 10 months ago #25647

5 years 10 months ago #25671

Attached Should have the camera back up in the next week for testing.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by james_lan. Reason: File didn't attach... Try Again!
5 years 10 months ago #25755
Attachments:

Thanks for log... looks like Nikon defines it as something else 'imagequality' rather than 'imageformat'

I will add an exception for this, but you should probably file a bug at libgphoto2 Github: github.com/gphoto/libgphoto2/issues

and inform them about this discrepency. In Canon, it is 'imageformat', so the same name should be used in all other cameras.

The changes should be reflected in the nightly PPA later today.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 10 months ago #25771

Thanks. Sorry about the delayed reply, this seems to work, with my D5300s now. I've submitted it to gphoto: github.com/gphoto/libgphoto2/issues/280

Also tried a Nikon 1 J3, This works. However, the J3 crashes gphoto without fail, but that's a separate issue. I haven't really had time to look into either closely.
5 years 9 months ago #26486

Time to create page: 2.307 seconds