INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Connecting ekos to multiple INDI servers

• Thank you received: 6
Can you make ekos connect to mutipe INDI servers running different gear sets? i.e one server has mount, guider and focuser and another has imaging ccd.
Kstars has this ability allready in device manager but not in Ekos?
8 years 7 months ago #4856

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 21
Hello.
You can chain the indiserver as you indiserver is a kind of device.

Have look with "indiserver --help"

As example with simulator you can do:
On first indiserver instance (As example 192.168.125.10) lunch the server with it requested drivers For example :<<indiserver -v indi_simulator_telescope>> It would run one instance connected to the telescope
On the second server you lunch it with <<indiserver -v "Telescope Simulator"@192.168.125.10 indi_simulator_focus>> It would connect the the first server and to the local fosuser.
-> "Telescope Simulator" is the name from the GetDefaultName() function. This is the name of the device you use when configure EKOS to work remote instead of local in KStars configuration.

Then you can connect via EKOs, or throuhg the device mannager (Ctrl-D) to the last indi server.

That's it. Regards
Philippe Besson
Skywatcher HEQ5, Televue 101-IS, Takahashi FS-60CB
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Guiding camera ZWO ASI120MM
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pasi Sarkkinen, Radek Kaczorek, GerardvS
8 years 7 months ago #4857

• Thank you received: 6
Thank you.

I didn't even think of chaining them at server startup. I'll try it tonight =)
8 years 7 months ago #4858

• Thank you received: 14
You can also use indiserver -v *@192.168.125.10 indi_simulator_focus for all the drivers of the first server
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Romain Fafet.
8 years 7 months ago #4861

• Thank you received: 34
Do I understand this rightly? Could I start on my kstars machine an indiserver that connects only eqmod and ghoto ccd and then start another one on my raspi that only uses the focuser but also includes the kstars machine and then I connect ekos to the raspi and I should get eqmod gphoto and fokuser accessible? (sorry for the many and's) :lol: This would solve A LOT of my problems.
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
8 years 7 months ago #4873

8 years 7 months ago #4874

• Thank you received: 34
Awsome, it works! But i had to use this syntax:
indiserver -v "Astroberry Focuser"@rp:7624 indi_eqmod_telescope indi_gphoto_ccd
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
8 years 7 months ago #4891

• Thank you received: 5
Amazing as long as you work with commandline instructions. But what with ekos in Kstars?
Is it right that under ekos options you connect to a remote server being on localhost? Is ekos then launching a second indiserver on the local machine connecting to the one launched with a commandline instruction? Or is it just connecting as a client to the local commandline launched server?
I would avoid multiple indiservers passing data to each other even running on the local machine. Doesn't seem efficient to me.
8 years 1 month ago #7054

I'm writing a tutorial on this topic now, so hopefully it should clear up any issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan Nonneman, Willi
8 years 1 month ago #7055

• Thank you received: 46

If you have a camera located remotely on a 'pig slow' network, ie, a wifi link, and multiple clients taking the same data, then it's more efficient to use a local server chained to the remote server. Using my example, for a year my all-sky camera was on the other end of a wifi link, and two clients taking the images from it. If both clients connect directly to the remote server, then two copies of each image are sent over wifi. But with a local server daisy chained to the remote end, then only one copy of the image is sent over the wifi link, and the local server sends one copy to each local client.

What is most efficient really depends on the rest of what is happening, and no one size fits all in this case.
8 years 1 month ago #7067

• Thank you received: 7
Is there a way to put a chained server into a self-sustained mount driver? I like to use a mount driver on another remote indiserver by just selecting it like any other local mount driver. How would I do this?
1 year 8 months ago #84528

• Thank you received: 226
You can connect to a remote indi driver running on another server by entering it's details as a remote driver in the space below the local driver selections in the profile manager.
1 year 8 months ago #84533

Time to create page: 1.336 seconds