INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Connecting to Astrroberry from a tablet

• Thank you received: 5
I have a Asus ZenPad Z8s tablet, which has a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution screen. However when I log into Astroberry from a browser, it acts as though the tablet has a lower resolution than the Astroberry's native 1920 x 1080 desktop resolution, and I can't see the entire Astroberry desktop, even when I click the full screen button in Astroberry. I have to scroll around to see things. Is there a way to be able to see the entire Astroberry desktop on a tablet?

Thanks.
2 years 2 months ago #79458

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Well I haven't been able to figure out how to get Astroberry to show full screen on the tablet browser, but I found an app on the Google Play Store called MultiVNC that allows you to see the entire screen. I tried VNC Viewer first, but it wanted you to sign up for some service in order to use it. I found that off-putting. MultiVNC works well and has good mouse emulation. You can also zoom in or out so if you don't have a high res screen on your tablet you can fit the entire Astroberry screen on your tablet (or phone), and zoom in if needed. Excellent app to work with the Pi from a tablet or phone.

So if you're trying to control your Astroberry setup from an Android tablet or phone, check out MultiVNC. I don't know what kind of similar app would be available on an Apple product.
2 years 1 month ago #79659

I use VNC Viewer when I polar align. It was initially clumsy, but once you know the way to use it properly, I find it quite appealing.

I even use it on my mobile phone mostly only for polar alignment, the tablet for sessioning. 
2 years 1 month ago #79685

Yes I use VNC Viewer on my laptop, but on a tablet they want you to sign up for a service in order to use it (and considering you don't have to do that on a computer, I'm at a loss as to why), so I went on a hunt for a reasonable alternative, and that turned out to be MultiVNC .

However it would be handy if you could see the full screen off a browser. I'm at a loss as to why you only get what appears to be about an 800x600 live area. Makes working with Astroberry impractical.
2 years 1 month ago #79697

I have just downloaded MultiVNC, see how it goes. I would like to see if Astroberry could develop an App, I believe this one developed, but unknown where it is. I would have to flick through.
2 years 1 month ago #79703

• Thank you received: 52
To those locked to 800x600, happen to have a PI display also attached?
I have a 1024x800 native display that cannot change resolutions so went to a virtual desktop

You can set up a new virtual desktop, only adds, no current system functionality will change

Create the following file to launch a VNC virtual screen for a desired resolution

sudo vim /usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver-x11-serviced1.service

Add to the file the following, replacing the 1980x1600 with your desired resolution
======cut below=========
[Unit]
Description=VNC Server in Service Mode daemon
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=su - astroberry -c "vncserver :1 Authentication=VncAuth  -randr 1980x1600"
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
Restart=on-failure
KillMode=process

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

=========cut above ========

And save the file

Tell the system about the file:
sudo systemctl daemon-reload

VNC wants a password as configured above, let's set it
Run the following to seed the VNC password for the virtual screen, again change the 1980x1600 to your desired resolution
sudo su - astroberry -c "vncserver :1 Authentication=VncAuth -randr 1980x1600"

And enter your password of choice

See if service launched fully

Point your multivnc at
IP-OF-PI port 5901

If all ok:
Back on the PI, enable the service to start on boot
sudo systemctl enable vncserver-x11-serviced1.service

Reboot the PI
Test the new service

Point your multivnc at
IP-OF-PI port 5901

The above will change no existing functionality but will use memory for the virtual screen and second copy of VNC running.

Let me know if it works for you!
2 years 1 month ago #79706

No, the Pi is set 1920x1080. It's only in the browser that it comes in roughly 800x600 live area (dunno what the actual res is, just deducting). Then you have to use the hand function to scroll elsewhere in the 1920x1080 live area of the Pi.

MultiVNC fortunately works, so I'm just gonna stick with that. It's a handy app. The mouse function works well, although I found and old BT mouse I forgot I had, and I'm using that with the tablet and MultiVNC to run Ekos.
2 years 1 month ago #79710

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.828 seconds