INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Some bugs using Indi 1.9.3 with astroberry

• Thank you received: 13
I am updating this topic to report there is a bug fix for the rigel dome driver in github which solves this issue. The handshake method now flushes the buffer.  I am waiting for this fix to appear in Astroberry so in the meantime I copied the updated driver and compiled it as 3rd party driver. I have tested this and seen no more crashes.  Goodie. 

Recently changed hardware to a Skywatcher EQ8 Pro and a ZWO asi2600mm pro. I have also done an apt upgrade to load latest stuff.  Generally all works well except for 2 issues:   The first time I start EKOS it crashes. The second time I am warned indi server is running and select restart. Second time EKOS starts fine. This happens every time.   Second issue is EKOS and Kstars can suddenly crash but not sure why. It may be related to the ZWO driver?  Logs attached. Would much appreciate some advice on this. Thanks guys. 

File Attachment:

File Name: log_19-01-35.zip
File Size:26 KB
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by David Bennett. Reason: Bu has been fixed.
2 years 2 months ago #79670
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5
I get a similar crash occurring, I get the feeling although not fully investigated that it came from image taking. I personally use a DSLR Canon 450D. I have only just enabled logging but do not have the time after all my initial observations. I am currently successfully running a session now, but on occasions, it crashes usually after an image has been taken and can not see it through in its entirety.

I am looking at the weekend if enough time to narrow it down before submitting. I may use this post as well.
2 years 2 months ago #79684

It might be clear again tonight so will try and take more notes as well. I see 2 crashes in different situations. First issue always happens when I first start. Its repeatable. The second issue only happens occasionally for reasons I will try and work out tonight if it's clear. Last night I set up a long RGB sequence at about 1.30 and left it running on its own all night. At 5.30 it was still going with no issues.
2 years 2 months ago #79691

I have been observing on several nights recently and can confirm KStars crashes so often that I am at the point of being forced to abandon Astroberry. It often crashes using Align just after it has downloaded the first image. It can also crash using the automatic focuser and less often when imaging. In short it is related to operating the ZWO ASI2600MM Pro camera. If I do manage to focus and align then move on to imaging it can work for hours taking many images without failure.
If a developer could look at this problem I would be very happy and willing to test as required.
2 years 1 month ago #80053

I had a perfect night with only a one-time exception directly on my RaspPi. I will be upgrading individual components of INDI to match Stellarmate latest revisions. I now only have one area having issues. I now mostly use remote observing with Kstar on Windows which is the latest version and everything is stable.

The main issue is Astroberry is not supported as fast as Stellarmate and therefore we have the bugs a lot longer before Astroberry is upgraded. The advantage in some ways is that when Stellarmate has bugs in upgraded versions they are not present in Astroberry. If you understand Linux to a point where most people can deal with these issues, Astroberry is a good option, whereas, without a lot of Linux understanding, Stellarmate is the better option.
2 years 1 month ago #80061

I am just updating to the latest version of INDI now, maybe spoke too soon. Will be testing it again tonight.
2 years 1 month ago #80067

Managed to take the attached image yesterday but had numerous crashes when aligning and focussing. Even experienced total white frames which could only be resolved by re-booting the pi. Once imaging is underway it works well and attached is a 1.5 hr LRGB image taken last night.  Ordered some shorter USB3 cables but I suspect I will need to examine carefully versions of drivers installed or simply reinstall astroberry. 
2 years 1 month ago #80111
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 375
Hi Guys
I'm almost 100% sure that all these freezes and crashes are related to hardware, not software.
Majority of issue come from:
- system undervoltage - observe you system logs running
tail -f /var/log/syslog
- corrupted sd card - try another sd card
- wifi network connection probles - try wired connection
- wifi and usb 3.0 conflict (well known hardware desing issue) - try wired connection or use usb 2.0
- weak cables and wires

Believe me or not but I use the same Astroberry as you do and don't remember when I had a crash.
2 years 1 month ago #80476

If you have to use a wired network, then the entire system is not worth the effort, Also I am experiencing crashes on both local and remote operations, so WiFi is not an issue for me.

USB 2 would slow the system operations down as I boot off USB 3 on a new Stick. I already have a 128MB SATA SSD, I will be connecting this once I have an adaptor. Hardware design issue. Is there any reference on the Raspberry Pi website for this?

I have replaced all my wiring and as a COMMS Hardware engineer as well as a qualified Communication technician, I am sure my cabling is fine.

I have only one area (Interference) to look at but have resolved this to 80%.

I same hardware I have on WiFI works flawlessly on ASCOM Drivers, the only reason for using INDI is I need to drive my focuser and I don't have good enough coding experience to develop one for ASCOM.
2 years 1 month ago #80487

Each of these issues is well documented in the Internet. Taking hardware design issue as an example - it was discussed even here www.indilib.org/forum/general/6576-pi4-u...hz-interference.html
For the rest I'm not giving you ultimate solution but rather way to diagnose an issue. You're not happy with wired connection, use external wifi dongle etc.
2 years 1 month ago #80494

For the exercise, I have changed all my connectivity for WiFi to 5GHz and will try it. If this does clear things up with crashes, a good tell tail sign is that if I get my first crash then I will post it here. I d like the speed of 5GHz, but the range may end up being my nemesis, at least for the home network.

I read some information on that interference and it no confirmed, even the link to IBM was broken, so I cannot locate any spectrum measurements. I don't have a spectrum analyser at home, so I cant test it.

BTW, my interference issue wasn't related to the USB3 issue, only camera interference.
2 years 1 month ago #80518

What do you mean it's not confirmed?
2 years 1 month ago #80521

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.082 seconds