INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New version of auto focus has problems

• Thank you received: 7
Hi,
A week ago, jan 2022, I updated Astroberry. With that it came a new version of auto focus. It's much better now in precession but it cause one big problem. I use a camera lens and that kind of lenses doesn't have very much extra focus tavel beyond infinity. The new auto focus start with a 1000 step move outwards and then step back 500 steps. 1000 step is pretty long travel for the focuser and it hit the mechanical stop, I have set a max limit of focus position, what happens then is that it block the auto focuser, or pause. Maybe it's very easy to fix, if the movement change direction, mirror, it will go inwards instead. and after that with small steps outwards.

If it could be implemented a box that could be ticket if the other direction is wanted I think it will solve the problem for most lenses.

Example:

I had my max position limit to 60000, I could increase it a little bit and get it to work again, but the margin is narrow and when the temperture change the focus change outwards. A collision will occur.

And another thing, this 1000 step, in my case it too much, 600 had been better, can I change that setting somewhere ? It will speed up the auto focus because every extra focus point take 8 seconds to read out from the camera.

ps.
Was this the correct place in the forum for this question ?

/Lars
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Lars.
2 years 1 month ago #80012
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
Initial steps is configurable under 'Mechanics' tab in the focus module.
2 years 1 month ago #80018

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for fast response. I already tried the settings at the mechanic side. Maybe the Initial Step size can be altered, but the Max Travel doesn't.

I wrote about it on my homepage:
www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/pr...pentax645-300ed.html

Look at the two last images at that page.

/Lars
2 years 1 month ago #80037

Reduce the Out Step Multiplier.
It causes an initial over correction with the intent to fully clear backlash before proceeding back inwards.
With your lenses, backlash should be very minimal.
2 years 1 month ago #80054

Hi Andrew,

Okay, that's the way to go, I'll try it next time I can take out the telescope. Unfortunately they are going to renovate the facade of our house and they have set up scaffolding outside our balcony so I can not do testing from there anymore.

/Lars
2 years 1 month ago #80097

You could probably practice the procedure indoors with an artificial star. If you don't have one, just poke a small pinhole in electrical tape and put it over the LED flashlight on your phone.
2 years 1 month ago #80099

I have been up to the roof balcony and practise focusing and polar aligning. Have to do this through a window bit it works. From the roof balcony I have the whole Western hemisphere to work with.

I wrote a short report over this place, it's written in Swedish, but have a look at the photos:
www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/astronomy-s...ork-20220226-se.html

When it's windy the roof isn't stable enough but other days it work good. But the same light pollution as from our own balcony, Bortle Class 9.

Last thing before I go out to dark places with my car is to clean the sensor. Always had problem with this.

Thanks for all help !

/Lars
2 years 2 weeks ago #81222

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds