INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can I force the wifi interfaces to behave consistently at boot?

• Thank you received: 31
I use an external usb wifi adapter. For ages I was able to always have the external adapter connect to my home wifi, while the internal wifi ran the astroberry hotspot. (I find it useful to have both, in case I need to troubleshoot something).

In the past couple of months, however, the adapters get assigned differently at bootup sometimes. I have to stop and check which is which, change the interfaces' priorities if needed and reboot (hoping, of course, the adapters don't flip-flop again). This is not associated with changing which port things are plugged in to, as far as I know.
1 year 9 months ago #83593

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12
I’m doing the same thing and what I’ve done to tie the settings to a particular device is by setting the Device entry in the advanced network configuration app. I believe this is what you need to do. Seems to work for me
eg :-
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron DeBry
1 year 9 months ago #83604
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 31
Thanks, Nigel
I will look into that. Hopefully wlan0 and wlan1 are assigned consistently at boot.
1 year 9 months ago #83612

• Thank you received: 12
I thought I would check. If you hover the mouse over that Device entry it says it will lock it to the name, the permanent mac address or both. I’ve sort of taken that setting it to wlanX (aa:bb:cc:did:ee) that I’ve ended up with the particular device with that mac address being given that name and used for this network setup. I could be wrong and maybe I should just use the mac address though I’ve not had an instance where the networks haven’t worked (excepting the usual flakiness )
If you want set names you can enable predicable network names using raspi-config then use those to tie the device to you network config.
1 year 9 months ago #83625

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds