INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Raspberry pi 4 Alternative

• Thank you received: 102
Ugh, I've been looking at so many different SBCs, and so many different ODroid models, I got them mixed up in my head.

It's the ODroid M1 with an m.2 connector. As a bonus it's available with 8 GB of RAM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
1 year 5 months ago #86900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Even if I use this command in the banana pi raspbian terminal it won't work?
wget -O - www.astroberry.io/repo/key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo su -c "echo 'deb www.astroberry.io/repo/ buster main' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/astroberry.list"
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install astroberry-server-full
1 year 5 months ago #86902

Yeah that could work :)
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Kevin Ross.
1 year 5 months ago #86921

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Odiug on topic Raspberry pi 4 Alternative

I was wondering how a Beelink Mini PC T4 pro (Apollo Lake N3350, 2 cores) would compare against a Pi 4. According to benchmarks it's a bit faster for single core but slower when all cores are used. Size and power consumption would be comparable. It needs a 12V power supply.

It was not my intention to advertise this particular system. It was just one of the first that showed up in my search. I am happy to hear about further alternatives.

I also saw that there is a NUC11 (Celeron N5105, 4 cores) available now, but it comes with a 19V power supply. The box is also physically larger.
1 year 5 months ago #87046

I don't have one, but that Beelink Mini PC T4 pro should work nicely. It has eMMC storage, which is significantly faster than SD cards. Plus, you could dual-boot Windows on it if you wanted to. :)
1 year 5 months ago #87055

• Thank you received: 0
Hi at all...is possible to use the OKdo x Radxa ROCK 4 Model C+ 4GB Single Board Computer Rockchip RK3399-T Arm Cortex-A72 with Astroberry?

Thanks
1 year 4 months ago #88612

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Mireia on topic Raspberry pi 4 Alternative

I can only recommend the MeLe Quieter2Q. I guess the 3Q and 3C work also wonderfully.

Not only it is much faster than the RPI, but it is also small (even though a little bigger) and consumes even less power !!! .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Odiug
1 year 4 months ago #88618

Yes and no. I have a Rock Pi 4B, which was an upgrade over a Raspberry Pi 4.

You *cannot* just insert an Astroberry SD card into a Rock Pi and boot it.

Instead, what you do is install a standard OS distribution,either Radxa's version of Debian Bullseye (customized for Rock Pi, downloaded from the Radxa website) or Armbian Bullseye (also available for Rock Pi, which is downloaded from the Armbian website). Both are based on Debian, and will work.

Then you add the Astroberry repository to your APT sources.list, and install the packages. You won't get a full out of the box Astroberry experience, you will need to do some configuring, but it should work.

There are instructions on the Astroberry website. Go to documentation, then to the advanced install section. It says Bullseye isn't supported, but there are Bullseye packages available for Astroberry. I think the documentation is out of date in that regard.

I personally never used Astroberry because I'm a software developer and I just built everything from source code. I don't necessary recommend that approach to non-developers though. :)

Oh, and if you really want to speed up the Rock Pi, use eMMC and not an SD card. It's much faster!

I hope this helps!
-- Kevin
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Kevin Ross. Reason: Meant to say Bullseye not Buster
1 year 4 months ago #88620

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Denis on topic Raspberry pi 4 Alternative

I use Orange Pi 4 LTS. Ekos works slow there. I plan to make simple but fast application than will use INDI for astophoto and live staking ))
1 year 4 months ago #88622

I know this is an old thread, but I thought it would be appropriate to report I have a good scope computer running on a Radxa Rock 5b. This has a faster ARM processor than a Raspberry Pi, and, like the ODROID-M1 it has an NVMe slot for fast storage.

I started with Armbian (Ubuntu Jammy with XFCE) and then installed the repositories for INDI, CCDCiel, PHD2. I am using TigerVNC server for headless connections. I was able to install ASTAP with *.deb files. Indiweb installs with pip. All that stuff installs and works great. I don't use KStars and Ekos, so I didn't install or test those.

I have not gotten FireCapture to work. The 32bit multi-lib instructions aren't quite right for Ubuntu Jammy. I assume it would be GREAT on this SBC because of the fast storage. I hope they eventually build a 64bit ARM version of that tool. Until then, I was able to get AstroDMx to work by removing two library files from the install (documented on the website's Known Issues page). The framerates with that tool and my fast storage are outstanding.

Using different hardware means I had to move on from Astroberry. :( I am guessing the shortage of Raspberry Pis has probably hurt that project. I do think that some sort of astronomy based distribution built on top of Armbian's build system could be viable. This would separate the hardware/kernel differences from the astronomy user space tools.
1 year 4 weeks ago #90981

• Thank you received: 17
I am currently running Ubuntu 20.04 (64 bit) with Kstars on a Rpi4 with 8 Gb Ram. Would the Odroid be an alternative for the RPi in this case. I don't know if there is a Kstars release for the latest Ubuntu (22.04), so I stayed with 20.04 LTS. I have everything currently running (and booting) from an SSD drive off of one of the USB 3.0 ports of the Rpi.

I know it is not a drop in substitute, just asking if you think I would be able to get a system running with Ubuntu? I gather you are using 64 bit Rasbian.

thanks,
Last edit: 1 year 4 weeks ago by Ronald Scotti. Reason: edit error
1 year 4 weeks ago #90982

I am using the INDI install from this PPA. It also has Ekos, I just didn't install it.

indilib.org/get-indi/download-ubuntu.html

I am running this on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (64bit) both on a Radxa Rock 5b and a Raspberry Pi 4. I used Armbian to get Ubuntu on the Rock 5b, but I was able to install Ubuntu on the Raspberry Pi 4 using an image directly from Ubuntu's website (not Raspbian). I expect Ekos would work just fine on Ubuntu 22.04. The PPA certainly has 22.04 builds.

launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

If I hadn't bought the Rock 5b, I would have bought the ODROID-M1. The ODROID-M1 sells with a nice, passively cooled case and also has NVMe storage. It's processor is just slower than the Rock 5b... but still on par with the Raspberry Pi 4.
1 year 4 weeks ago #90983

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.542 seconds