INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EKOS autofocus interrupting guide calibration

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I'm having an issue with EKOS where when running a sequence that involves a meridian flip, the flip will complete then guiding will start calibrating, however before calibration completes its interrupted by a filter change and autofocus. Once autofocus is complete guiding attempts to restart but is wildly out.
Guiding never settles down, presumably because calibration was interrupted.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks,
1 year 4 months ago #88325

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
The easy one is to check the 're-use calibration' box, then it won't do a calibration when you activate guiding. That however only works if you do one nice calibration (preferably close to celestial equator/meridian line), and have a mount that reports position.

(My setup is permanent, if you set up each day do that calibration after polar alignment (there's a button to delete the saved calib, then it re-does it)
1 year 4 months ago #88390

Thanks Peter,

I'll give saving calibrations a go. My setup isn't permanently mounted so yes I'll have to repeat calibration each night.

Doesn't seem right though that it would get half way through calibration before autofocus starts, which then pauses calibration mid way through the process. I use an OAG and find that if I'm guiding whilst autofocusing it struggles to guide and seems to negatively affect the focus that can be achieved.
1 year 4 months ago #88460

• Thank you received: 133
Well, once per night is surely better than after every target change, isn't it? ;)
Also, a good calibration is quite robust. If you have a fixed OTA setup (guider/guide cam permanently fixed to the main telescope) this might even work over multiple nights. Last winter I took my mount off the pier for hibernation. Put it back in March, did PA and continued with the guide calibration from the previous year..... :D

But I agree, it should finish one task before continuing with the next, and a guide calibration should pause any other activity until it's finished. And yes, I also had massive crosstalk between focus and guide when using an OAG. You indeed have to pause guiding during an AF run. But even with a separate guider scope I'd expect that a guiding calibration would interfere with the focus run if the star is moved during exposure...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard
1 year 4 months ago #88501

Thanks Peter,

Completely agree. I'll definitely give reusing calibrations a go.

Much appreciated,

Richard
1 year 4 months ago #88536

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.037 seconds