INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Temporary Failure In Name Resolution

• Thank you received: 0
I am having issues with Astroberry server DNS service failing. It is causing constant issues with kstars and other software because no internet.

I have checked the setting in resolvconf and they are correct. The DNS server on the network is operating perfectly and other devices use it just fine.

It's like the local dns resolver is not there. I have to reboot the server and then wait for it to come back up. Hit and miss as to whether DNS works.

Can anyone help troubleshoot this issue.

Cheers
Spart
1 year 2 months ago #90332

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This is happening constantly and I am having to reboot astroberry to get the dns resolver working.

Can anyone assist in troubleshooting please.

Cheers
Spart
1 year 2 months ago #90358

• Thank you received: 3
Hi
I use this and never had a problem.
you can add nameserver 8.8.4.4

cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by resolvconf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
1 year 2 months ago #90360

Another problem may be that the router or your ISP is blocking port 53 from the exit, which is the one used by DNS

You can try it like this

root@debian:/# telnet 8.8.8.8 53
Trying 8.8.8.8...
Connected to 8.8.8.8.
Escape character is '^]'.
1 year 2 months ago #90361

Thanks for the messages on this. The name is server is local to the network. If i reboot the astroberry server after a few minutes DNSis working agian and I can ping the network properly. After a random period it stops working the DNS server is working otherwise everyone else would have DNS issues. The only solution is to reboot the server so something and it works again until another random stoppage.

following a reboot this is what I can find regarding resolv or dns in the logs.
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ cat /var/log/syslog | grep resolv
Feb  9 15:34:46 astroberry kernel: [    1.895591] NFS: Registering the id_resolver key type
Feb  9 15:34:46 astroberry kernel: [    1.895650] Key type id_resolver registered
Feb  9 15:34:46 astroberry kernel: [    2.954338] Key type dns_resolver registered
Feb  9 15:34:46 astroberry systemd[1]: Starting Restore /etc/resolv.conf if the system crashed before the ppp link was shut down...
Feb  9 15:34:46 astroberry systemd[1]: Started Restore /etc/resolv.conf if the system crashed before the ppp link was shut down.
Feb  9 15:34:47 astroberry NetworkManager[457]: <info>  [1675956887.5797] dns-mgr[0x3a0000]: init: dns=default, rc-manager=resolvconf
Feb  9 15:34:57 astroberry NetworkManager[457]: <info>  [1675956897.3850] dns-mgr: Writing DNS information to /sbin/resolvconf
Feb  9 16:13:26 astroberry kernel: [    1.894446] NFS: Registering the id_resolver key type
Feb  9 16:13:26 astroberry kernel: [    1.894493] Key type id_resolver registered
Feb  9 16:13:26 astroberry kernel: [    2.952930] Key type dns_resolver registered
Feb  9 16:13:26 astroberry systemd[1]: Starting Restore /etc/resolv.conf if the system crashed before the ppp link was shut down...
Feb  9 16:13:27 astroberry systemd[1]: Started Restore /etc/resolv.conf if the system crashed before the ppp link was shut down.
Feb  9 16:13:29 astroberry NetworkManager[475]: <info>  [1675959209.0065] dns-mgr[0x12d1000]: init: dns=default, rc-manager=resolvconf
Feb  9 16:13:38 astroberry NetworkManager[475]: <info>  [1675959218.0677] dns-mgr: Writing DNS information to /sbin/resolvconf
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ cat /var/log/syslog | grep dns   
Feb  9 15:34:46 astroberry kernel: [    2.954338] Key type dns_resolver registered
Feb  9 15:34:46 astroberry systemd[1]: pppd-dns.service: Succeeded.
Feb  9 15:34:47 astroberry NetworkManager[457]: <info>  [1675956887.5797] dns-mgr[0x3a0000]: init: dns=default, rc-manager=resolvconf
Feb  9 15:34:57 astroberry NetworkManager[457]: <info>  [1675956897.3850] dns-mgr: Writing DNS information to /sbin/resolvconf
Feb  9 16:13:26 astroberry kernel: [    2.952930] Key type dns_resolver registered
Feb  9 16:13:27 astroberry systemd[1]: pppd-dns.service: Succeeded.
Feb  9 16:13:29 astroberry NetworkManager[475]: <info>  [1675959209.0065] dns-mgr[0x12d1000]: init: dns=default, rc-manager=resolvconf
Feb  9 16:13:38 astroberry NetworkManager[475]: <info>  [1675959218.0677] dns-mgr: Writing DNS information to /sbin/resolvconf

Cheers
Spart
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Sparticle.
1 year 2 months ago #90362

I don't understand, are the DNS servers local? Do you have the IP of the router? If so, try to edit the /etc/resolv.conf file and put what I put above so you rule out the router problem, it would be strange for linux to do that, I never saw it.
Best regards

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
1 year 2 months ago #90363

Yes the DNS server is on the LAN resolv.conf already has the correct information.

Cheers
Spart
1 year 2 months ago #90364

• Thank you received: 1
Have you had any luck fixing this, i'm having exactly the same issue.

I normally run my Astroberry in hotspot mode only . As a one-off I thought I would do an update becuase the older INDI ZWO drivers in the 2.0.4 Astroberry image are not working with some of their latest cameras (e.g. 533MM).

I created a new client Wifi connection and it connects fine but I keep getting the DNS resolution error. I tried various DNS server addresses and they all have the same resolution issue. We also have no DNS resolution problems with any of our other RPi systems, no DNS resolution problems with our other PCs. It appears to be an Astroberry-specific issue.

As per previous poster's problem, it normally allows one DNS resolution, for example, it will resolve one website address, then it fails to resolve any other DNS addresses afterwards. The conf files all have the correct details in them.
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by aj. Reason: Spelling errors
1 year 3 weeks ago #91568

• Thank you received: 1
Ok solved it, you might like to try the following.

The following assumes a clean install of AstroBerry 2.0.4, and you have already created a wifi/ethernet network connection to your router (using Menu > Preferences > Advanced Network Configuration) which works (i.e. its just the DNS resolution which is not working)

I found it has nothing to do with router settings, its a raspbian config issue.

If you type route -r you might see that the network connection you created correctly in Menu > Preferences > Advanced Network Configuration has not been not setup correctly by the Raspbian network manager(s), in my case it was showing 0.0.0.0 for the router address and a different pi ip address to the one i had set up. Something keeps wiping out the settings made with Advanced Network Configuration.

To resolve this you do not edit the resolv.conf file anymore, nowadays it is auto-generated by configuring other file(s). If you do configure it directly it will just get overwritten, this is why it can resolve once then fails later when it has been automatically overwritten.

If using static IP addresses on the network, the DNS resolution settings file (resolv.conf file) is auto-generated from settings in the /etc/network/interfaces file. Open /etc/network/interfaces file in edit mode, e.g. 'sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces'. Add the following to the bottom of the file: 'dns-nameservers [my dns ip address 1 here] [my dns ip address 2 here]'. Save the file.

If using dynamic IP addresses on the network (e.g. DHCP), the DNS resolution settings file (resolv.conf file) is auto-generated from settings in the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file. Edit /etc/dhcpcd.conf file, e.g. sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf. Uncomment the whole section that starts 'profile static_eth0'. Change names from etho0 to wlan0 if using the onboard wifi. Create as many static fallback profiles as you need in this file for each of your pi's network devices. In reality this is supposed for be for dynamic IP addressing but found to make the DNS resolution work I needed to do the below both when using static or DHCP ip addresses on this version of Raspbian.

An example of how /etc/dhcpcd.conf could be edited for the onboard wifi is as below.

#create static address fallback profile for onboard wifi (wlan0)
profile static_wlan0
static ip_address=[my pi wifi static ip address here]/24
static routers=[my router wifi static ip address here]
static domain_name_servers=[my dns ip address 1 here] [my dns ip address 2 here]

#fallback to static profile on wlan0 when DHCP fails
interface wlan0
fallback static_wlan0

An example of another profile for the ethernet connection is as below.

#create static address fallback profile for onboard ethernet (eth0)
profile static_eth0
static ip_address=[my pi ethernet static ip address here]/24
static routers=[my router ethernet static ip address here]
static domain_name_servers=[my dns ip address 1 here] [my dns ip address 2 here]

#fallback to static profile on eth0 when DHCP fails
interface eth0
fallback static_eth0

Then reboot your system, use route -r to check the gateway and your ip address has been set correctly

Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Osvaldo Paez
1 year 3 weeks ago #91575

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.987 seconds