I have just finished building a sneak preview of Astroberry Server and prepared a video teaser for it.
Astroberry Server is a preconfigured desktop for Raspberry Pi 3 with KStars, Ekos and INDI server just ready to use. It is based on Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and it's accessible from your browser, VNC client or SSH. It works as a virtual wireless access point (VAS) and WLAN client at the same time. So you can use it to control your setup in the field without any additional device. Let me know of your thoughts.
The system features:
- Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Desktop
- Virtual Access Point (VAP) allowing to access the system without external wireless network
- Remote desktop accessible over VNC at astroberry.local:5900 or a web browser at astroberry.local
- KStars and Ekos with all available device drivers
- Astrometry with basic index files
- PHD2 for autoguiding
- Gnome Predict for satellite tracking
- StarPlot for 3-dimensional positions of stars in space
- oaCapture and wxAstroCapture for planetary imaging
- Astroberry PiFace drivers for a relay and focuser control
- Samba server sharing Pictures directory for easy access to captured images
For version 1.0.20170505 please download
script to /usr/local/bin and run it to update Astroberry Server. You don't need to do this for future releases - it will be included in the release.
Starting from version 1.0.1 system upgrade is available without need to download full system image. Just download the latest version of the image file, flash your microSD and boot your raspberry pi 3 from it, after booting start terminal window and run astroberry-update and astroberry-upgrade. It will upgrade your system to the latest release of Astroberry Server.
INDI/KStars on Raspberry Pi 4, 4gb
Raspbian Buster with AstroPi3 script configuration
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro Mount
Canon 600D Camera
Orion SSAG/ASI120mm @280mm Guide Scope
Waveshare Stepper Motor Board - DIY Focuser
Adafruit GPS Module
Generic Bluetooth Joystick.
Startech 7 port powered USB Hub.
Do you mean you need to run INDI Server and ASI driver as a root to get camera connected? If so you have following options:
1) run everything as root (not recommended)
2) run desktop and KStars as astroberry user and start INDI server and drivers from separate script (e.g.
) as root and connect Ekos to INDI server using remote mode in Ekos profile editor (will work 100% but you loose simplicity of starting server and drivers directly from Ekos)
3) run everything as astroberry user and experiment with SUID bit on ASI driver i.e. chown root indi_asi_ccd && chmod u+s indi_asi_ccd (not sure it's gonna work)
4) run everything as astroberry user and fix the issue with the camera (did you look into udev rules?)
Anyway I'm glad you like Astroberry Server setup. Good luck using it!
| Orion CT8 | Askar FRA 400 | NEQ6 (hypermod) | Atik 460EX | ASI 1600 | ASI 120MM | Atik EFW2