INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Running Astroberry headless

• Thank you received: 0
Hi
I've been playing with Astroberry installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I'd like to run it wifi headless , but haven't been able to figure out how to do it. I've seen some web instructions on how to do it in a fresh install in, say, Raspian, but the steps are a bit beyond my Linux confidence--I've already broken my system installation a few times already. Can you provide step-by-step instructions, or at least a link on how to do this? Thanks
5 years 2 months ago #34053

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
Astroberry can run headless by default. Using autostart with Web Manager starts just INDI server and drivers selected in a profile. Then you can connect to INDI server over network with a INDI client (KStars/Ekos) located on separate machine/PC.
What is your expected use case scenario?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
5 years 2 months ago #34153

• Thank you received: 50
(Not the topic author)
My personal use scenario is gradually refining to:
1) Switch on headless RPi 3B+ which has 3 USB connections in use - to EQMod serial cable to SW mount, - to the Canon DSLR and, - via a 50mm USB extender, the U-blox 7 GPS dongle.
2) A minute or two later power up laptop running Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and then start up KStars. Click on EKOS icon and start INDI server with my Astro gear profile (including in my case also the SkySafari driver.
3) The green GPS LED starts flashing, within about 30 seconds, indicating that GPS fix has been achieved. I have set the GPS INDI driver to update KStars from the GPS every 60 secs, and hence the RPi system clock and geographical location will have been updated.
4) I now, in principle, operate alignment and capture sequences.....
5) afterwards, when powering down the system, I click to close down INDI server connections and EKOS and then KStars, and finally
6) log onto the astroberry.local web interface through a browser in order to remotely shutdown the RPi in a ‘controlled’ way.
I think that the terminology I have used here is appropriate but please correct me if wrong.
Is there a more automatic way of shutting down KStars on the laptop which will also shut down the headless RPi astroberry server?
5 years 2 months ago #34165

Thanks for the reply. The problem I appeared to have was that, unless I had a monitor connected to the RP, I was unable to see the system booted up in VNC viewer. I finally got things working after I enabled SSH by installing an empty SSH file in the root drive. Whether this was necessary, I don't know. In any event, I can now operate my telescope mount using the Kstars/EKOS/INDI running on the RP, controlling from my PC using or through an android phone or Nexus 7 tablet--all using VNC Viewer.

Can you explain a little better the steps " Using autostart with Web Manager starts just INDI server and drivers selected in a profile. "? I don't know what you mean by "Web Manager"

I'm still struggling to get guiding working. I'll save that for another post.

Thanks, again
Richard
5 years 2 months ago #34166

This is one of the two use case scenarios i.e. devices connected to RPi running INDI server and drivers, controlled from KStars/Ekos running on remote PC.
Advantage:
- using as little resources of RPi as possible
Disadvantage:
- stability and performance of network connection between RPi and PC i.e. anything happens with the connection your imaging session is interrupted and/or lost
- PC must be always on

The other option is devices connected to RPi running INDI server and drivers, controlled from KStars/Ekos running on RPi, accessible as a remote desktop from remote PC.
Advantage:
- PC can be powered off
- Whole session runs from PC and network connection is used only for remote desktop and file transfers after a session
Disadvantage:
- extensive use of RPi's resources, laggy desktop

You can go both ways with Astroberry.
In the first scenario you just need to define a profile with your devices using INDI Webmanager (accessible in the sliding menu) and set it to autostart.
In the second scenario you additionally run remote desktop, where you launch KStars/Ekos etc.

There is no automatic way of shutting down KStars on the laptop which will also shut down the headless RPi astroberry server. You can however send a shudown command from your local machine that will be launched on Astroberry Server. Just use ssh to do this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Shagam
5 years 2 months ago #34167

Thanks--I will check it out later today
Regards Richard
5 years 2 months ago #34175

I tried using the INDI Web Manager and made a complete mess of it--forcing me to rebuild my Astroberry-server image. (I'm getting very good at it, now!!!). So I'd appreciate if I could get a step-by-step tutorial on how to set this up. Once thing that wasn't clear is if the remote PC I'd be running could be a Win 10 PC, or is it all under Linux?

Another thing I am trying to figure out how to do is run Astroberry-server with PHD2. I've had good luck running PHD2 on a Win7 PC laptop. I don't think that the EKOS internal guider polar alignment tool is going to cut it for me since I don't have a view of Polaris at my site (trees, light pollution, etc), whereas PHD2 has the drift alignment tool that works well for me.

If I can't get the RP3 working the way I'd like, someone is going to get a good deal...

Thanks for any help
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Richard Shagam.
5 years 2 months ago #34238

Richard, I think there is some misunderstanding here. Astroberry Server is a complete remote desktop system fully equipped with astronomy tools including KStars/Ekos and PHD2 (and many more).
Now, the key is the desktop is accessible remotely either via VNC or just a web browser. It does not matter what operating system you use on your PC. It is just used as a screen and keyboard to access remote desktop.
Just start Astroberry image in your Raspberry, connect to astroberry access point and point your browser to either astroberry.local or 192.168.10.1. Have you looked at readme and movies at the project page? github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
5 years 2 months ago #34250

• Thank you received: 74
"Once thing that wasn't clear is if the remote PC I'd be running could be a Win 10 PC, or is it all under Linux?" - you are confused. a VNC Client which connects to a VNC type server can run on (and does) and other operating system so long as the VNC client used is compatible (talks the same language). This then gives you the ability to do things as if you were connected directly to the RPI via a keyboard,mouse and screen.

The Web server approach again is a client and server approach - Indi Web manager being the server (which is already inbuilt in Astroberry) and any Browser on any machine being the client. This then allows you to do limited tasks mainly to do with "Indi" (as designed).

Then there is the client/server approach of Indi itself something completely different to the above - as the first 2 items can be used (and are) with other projects.

I am assuming that the network part of the problem is running without any problems.

You should not need to "rebuild" the Astroberry server each time you hit a problem - at worst just take a back up of you image BEFORE doing any changes - even better have a 2nd CD card with Astroberry loaded which you use as a "play/learn" device.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
5 years 2 months ago #34252

Thanks
I do now have Astroberry running on the RPi and am now controlling my scope from my PC, phone, tablet, and have now am zeroing in on PHD2. My next challenge will be getting my Canon Rebel T6i running under Astroberry.
But I was wondering about this Indi Web Manager feature. I now understand that I shouldn't have to deal with it and will give up on that aspect of the software for now.

I do want to say how impressed I am with this program. Yes, my learning curve has been a bit steep and frustrating, but I'm now getting operations sorted out.

Thanks, again!!!
Regards, Richard
5 years 2 months ago #34277

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds