INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

HELP!!! EQMOD Bluetooth problem

• Thank you received: 4
Hi, I'm trying to connect my Synta mount using EQMOD via bluetooth but it´s impossible! I tried with a dondle and the on board bluetooth but still can't connect.
Anyone had has success with this?
5 years 2 months ago #34623

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
Could you provide some more details? Have you paired devices successfully and cannot connect a mount or you have problems with detecting a BT device and pairing?
5 years 2 months ago #34624

Hi Kaczorek, I'm using a RPi3B+ and yes, I've already paired the devices, but I can't connect to the mount and an error message appears when I check the information of the connected serial port in the bluetooth manager "blueman exception: can't connect rfcomm socket".
5 years 2 months ago #34642

• Thank you received: 375
I'm afraid embedded BT does not work on RPi 3B+. At least I was not successful with it. I think that the only solution for now is an USB dongle.
Please take a look at this thread
5 years 2 months ago #34646

• Thank you received: 226
For a start, uninstall modemmanager. If you make it to the end of the thread Kaczorek shared, you will see how I came about this conflict.
sudo apt-get remove modemmanager

To set up the BT adapter I have it configured to bind the port during boot with an entry in rc.local
To the file /etc/rc.local add this line of code. *Your Linux version may require alternate configuration
Don't miss the trailing & in this code and sub XX's for adapter MAC address.
rfcomm bind hci0 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 1 &
This should make the set the device to /dev/rfcomm0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
5 years 2 months ago #34649

Thanks for the tips Ihoujin.
I unistalled modemmanger and then I tried to connect mi BT device and works fine binding to rfcomm0. Thats was great!

To automatize the connection after boot I added the entry in my rc.local file and restart the Astroberry but it doesn't work, the BT doen't connect automatically and I have to bind manualy to a rfcomm to get work it.
Question: The MAC address in the entry is the MAC of my BT adapter (connected via USB to astroberry) or the MAC of the BT device? (connected to mount)

Any sugestion?
Thanks again
5 years 2 months ago #34766

It should be the mac address of the EQ-BT device on your mount. And in my case I don't have to make the connected via bluetooth manager or anything like that, just go right to INDI and the connection is made. The cool thing is the mount and EQ-BT adapter to it don't even have to be powered on until you go to use it, that is to say binding to the MAC address of the device still works at boot time even though the EQ-BT device is not powered on yet.
Edit: One more thing, binding =/= pairing. Make sure you have paired it properly. This is a one time only step when working properly.
Edit2: Please share a screenshot of your rc.local entry
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Andrew.
5 years 2 months ago #34771

SUCCESS!!!!
Ihoujin, I changed the MAC Address to my EQ-BT in the rc.local and now everything is running perfectly, even using the on board BT device en my RPi3B+!!!!
I don't have to use a BT dondle.

I think the key is to uninstall modemmanager as you told me.
I'm very happy, my mount can be run wirelessly now, one less cable to worry about.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!!
5 years 2 months ago #34784

You're most welcome. Glad I could help.
5 years 2 months ago #34791

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds