INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Noob - what version OS to install on DomePC and on PI?

• Thank you received: 53
Totally new to this - I have a full remote desktop on winDOZE. Trying to transition to linux. I installed MINT? (good / bad?) and I enjoy it so far.
A PI arrives today from Amazon... what shoudl I install on it? I just found this astroberry? IS that the smartest move?

I have a ASIair and like it - but haven't used it in real life (just testing). The new pi and astroberry? will be a contender to see which I prefer.
I have another option which is called Astronomy linux. (it's a Ubuntu install with LOTS of astro apps and utils). Has all infi, kstars, stellarium etc.
Astroberry? or this ASTRONOMY LINUX install?

As I'm new to linix - all these VERSIONS (fedora?) are VERY CONFUSING are they just graphicially different or are they incompatible with each other?
I want EASIEST to use for a windows guy (I prefer OS X) when I had it... but don't want to box myself in as primary usage will be for controlling my observatory from in the house (300 ft away).
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

5 years 1 month ago #35564

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 76
If you have a domePc (A pc in your observatory) then you don't need a PI I think... I have a PC in my observatory and its doing everything. Runs indi-server and Kstars/EKOS etc. I just installed ububtu on it and then connect to it remotely using team viewer. I didn't use a PI because I wanted to keep it as simple as possible and have less network devices to maintain. I guess its not possible for everyone though.
5 years 1 month ago #35566

• Thank you received: 375
You can either setup your own system e.g. Ubuntu (or any Ubuntu variation i.e. Mate) and install KStars and other tools following this guide .
Note that Raspberry uses ARM CPU (not Intel/AMD) so anything you want to install on Raspberry must be dedicated for it. This means that you will not be able to run Astronomy Linux on Raspberry - it is built for Intel/AMD processors.
Alternatively you can use one of the precompiled images for Raspberry Pi, namely Astroberry or Stellarmate.
5 years 3 weeks ago #35659

As the others have suggested. Use Ubuntu 18.04 on a PC and just stick with that.
5 years 3 weeks ago #35671

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds