INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry and IPad

• Thank you received: 0
Hi there,

i´ve buyed my first RaspberryPi 3b+ just yesterday and to get started i´ve installed Astroberry. I´m super excited about the possibilitys those small Computers give, and astroberry seems to be excactly what i´m looking for, a device i can controll a Mount and Camera just from my ipad.

I´ve tried first with my MacbookPro and it worked perfectly fine. Just plugged my Takahashi EM10 via usb/serial adapter into the Pi, connected the Server, ran SkyCharts and did my First GoTo wohoo. But then i tried to run it from my Ipad and here i got problems. I´ve tried my iphone a well and got the same problems. I can´t tap certain fields. for instance, i tap the left sidebar and navigate to the server connection, which works fine, but as soon if i tap anything in the menu it doesn´t response as it should. So i can´t connect to indilib server. am i doing something wrong? Btw i can´t install other Browsers except Safari on my Ipad (3rd Generation 64GB).

Is there a good Startingpoint to get familiar with Indilib and all that stuff? Its all new to me and i like to learn the general principles.

CS Frank
5 years 1 month ago #35692

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by J. Hill on topic Astroberry and IPad

May be IOS compatability/security isssues. I've ran into quite a few of them. An alternative would be to install VNC Viewer on the Ipad and access the astroberry desktop with VNC. That is what I use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Sackenheim
5 years 1 month ago #35723

Hi,

ok i see, but how can i run the indi server if i connect directly to the PI via VNC?
Sorry, this Server/Client thing is relatively new to me.
Btw, it runs with almost no problems from my MacBook Pro.

CS Frank
5 years 1 month ago #35724

It may not be the best way, but I start the INDI server from the Terminal by running 'indiserver -v [driver1] [driver2] [etc]'.

Once it is running, you can connect to INDI with Ekos or any other client from a remote computer, on the Astroberry, or both, since INDI and clients run independently. You don't have to type it out every time, in the terminal, the up arrow will load previously used commands. The INDI Web manager is great, but it is not practical in all situations.
5 years 1 month ago #35727

hmmm, but this is what i like so much about Astroberry, that i start the Raspi and can control it just from my device, with just opening a webbrowser.
Is thar (maybe) a problem with older Apple Software, or in general a Problem with Macs?

CS Frank
5 years 1 month ago #35742

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic Astroberry and IPad

No, I agree your should not need to open a web browser, nor start INdI server manually via terminal either...the server should star automatically with ekos..it does on mine... :)
Can’t help with the iPad issues....sorry.. :)
5 years 1 month ago #35743

I just confirmed that it that the Astroberry web server does work OK with the Ipad 4 and Safari. On the left menu bar, selecting the hand symbol (top symbol) will let you navigate around the desktop. I had to make sure that the mouse icon just below that (second from top) had the left click button highlighted blue before I could navigate the menus, etc. Pressing the mouse icon will toggle between the mouse left, center wheel, right, and none. Let me know if this helps.
5 years 1 month ago #35746

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Astroberry and IPad

Frank, does it apply to sliding menu in a web browser only? If so you can skip this and define your profile in Ekos as local and start everything from there.

@AstroNerd, you miss the concept - in Astroberry you can use browser as a VNC client to access desktop remotely ;-)
5 years 1 month ago #35747

Hi,

i´ve tried that already. And it doesnt help in all cases. I can for instance click on the little checkmark box saying autostart, but if i´d like to define for instance my own setup, i can´t choose and type in something. Its weird.

CS Frank
5 years 1 month ago #35749

Hi Radek,

yes, its only the slide menu (as far as i can see by now). OK this could be a go around. To strange that it works in Safari on my MacBook though.

CS Frank
5 years 1 month ago #35750

Yes. There is some strange behaviour when using the Ipad. I just tested what you described with my Ipad 4, and found that the dropdown box for Drivers works as expected, but not for Profile. When I access the Web Manager directly through port 8624 , both work as expected.

BTW , I think that Astroberry Server is a great project. I have just started using it again when I got my Raspberry Pi Camera driver to work with Mate.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by J. Hill.
5 years 1 month ago #35755

Hi,

whats a possible Solution for that? I´m sure i´m not the only one using an IPad:-)
CS Frank
5 years 1 month ago #35756

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds