INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Life expectency of SD card?

• Thank you received: 9
Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for how often I should replace a 16GB SD card running Astroberry?
Every 10 imaging sessions, 100, 1000?
Perhaps there is a utility to measure the health of the media?
I would rather be proactive than being surprised by failures.
Thanks.
5 years 3 weeks ago #35956

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 53
Flash a copy and don't worry about it, I haven't really used mine yet... (but LOTS of SD card usage over the years as a pro photographer). Was never a issue. I guess I upgraded to larger before the outdated size went bad?
I use only 32gb for the pi's... I have 64, 128 and 256gb micro's here too. for the Asiair - I saved a copy to ISO and flashed another 8 buck 32gb card and put it in my scope tools bag.
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

The following user(s) said Thank You: kamisan
5 years 3 weeks ago #35971

• Thank you received: 375
Using SD card for photography (in your DSLR) is totally different than using it as a main storage for an operating system. The latter takes SD card to the boundaries because frequent writes which are necessary for operating system to work. However to address this SWAP file is using SD card in Astroberry Server. This extends SD card life significantly.
There is no easy answer to your question... depends on the card, manufacturer and probably dozen of other factors. It's a lottery but you can be sure that the card will be dead some day. Don't expect any notification before. It will just die.
As a precaution don't store valuable data and files on it. Copy everything to your PC before shutting down your raspberry. If you make extensive customization of the system, make an image copy of a card from time to time. You cannot prevent it, but you can minimize the impact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette, kamisan
5 years 3 weeks ago #36010

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.770 seconds