INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

VNC Desktop does not resize

• Thank you received: 8
I started trying out Astroberry, installed the image and did a system update.
I did this connected to a real monitor, kbd, mouse.

Now I connected via VNC for the first time (via browser and VNC client), but I only see a tiny VNC Desktop (656x416), which does not resize.

I see those processes running on astroberry:
1422 ?        Ss     0:46 /usr/bin/x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -shared -forever -nowf -repeat -display :0 -auth guess -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -o /var/log/x11vnc.log
1423 ?        Ss     0:00 bash /opt/noVNC/utils/launch.sh --listen 8080 --vnc localhost:5900 > /dev/null 2>&1

I wonder if the "-xrandr" option would help, but where can I find the x11vnc configuration?

Regards
Guido
5 years 2 weeks ago #36245

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Odiug on topic VNC Desktop does not resize

No, it's not related to -xrandr.

Well, I shot myself in the foot!

I did not realize that x11vnc just makes the current running X server available via VNC. And because I had issues with HDMI and overscan when I connected Astroberry to my monitor, I removed the HDMI entries from /boot/config.txt. Now, when booting without an attached monitor it seems to fallback to a very small screen resolution.

In my defense, I used a Raspberry Pi before where I had setup a standalone vncserver, not being connected to an actual running X server. This one had the ability to be resizable to whatever the VNC client requested. Quite convenient when the vncviewer was running on a laptop: sometimes with the small laptop display and sometimes being connected to an external monitor.

I have to think on how to achieve this again.

Regards
Guido
5 years 2 weeks ago #36294

• Thank you received: 375
Just restore proper resolution configuration in /boot/config.txt
<code>
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
</code>

These lines force resolution to be 1920x1080 (full HD), even if monitor is not connected.
If it's too much you can use local scaling mode, available in sliding menu when accessing Astroberry Server with web browser.

PS. there is a reason why Astroberry Server uses x11vnc server and not any other... It's compatible with noVNC used for VNC-in-a-browser. Unlike many other VNC servers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Odiug
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Radek Kaczorek.
5 years 2 weeks ago #36297

Replied by Odiug on topic VNC Desktop does not resize

Hi Radek,

Yes, thanks. I've figured that out already. :-)
My laptop has 1600x900. I tried local scaling now. A bit blurry and small, but bearable. Working with Kstars/EKOS is anyway a bit on the edge with a "small" display.

Thanks for explaning why you have chosen x11vnc. It would have been my next question. :-)

And my appreciation for your work and effort on putting Astroberry together!
Until now I used a RasPi with Ubuntu Mate, which I had setup according to some information I found here. But it lacked a lot of features you have built into Astroberry. I like the noVNC part and the VAP setup.

Regards
Guido
5 years 2 weeks ago #36302

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds