INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RTC Module - issues

• Thank you received: 50

RTC Module - issues was created by Avocette

Like other users of Astroberry I have become familiar with the system date and time at boot being 11 February 2016, and around 17:28. I successfully adding a GPS dongle to provide real time and geographical location information. However I felt it could be useful to add an RTC module, and fitted a DS3231 unit. After following the thread 'More RTC madness!!!!!' I still could not get the RTC unit to work properly. I subsequently swapped over the Astroberry OS microSD to the Raspian one, carried out the same file edits to install the RTC module and 'hey presto' it works, maintains the real time clock as expected, and updates the system date and time on boot.
What I find most perplexing is that on swapping back to Astroberry OS, not only is the RPi system time the usual 11 February 2016 at 17:28, but my RTC Module has been written to with this date and time! Hence, instead of the RTC Module updating the system time on boot, exactly the opposite happens! Any bright ideas about what's going wrong please?
5 years 2 weeks ago #36356

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Freddy on topic RTC Module - issues

I'm having the same issue....any help anyone?
5 years 2 weeks ago #36381

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic RTC Module - issues

Astroberry Server does not contain any default configuration for RTC. Anything you do is custom config for RTC over defaults for Ubuntu Mate 16.04.
Just make sure the RTC is properly detected (i2cdetect -y 1). If so add custom configuration as per any guide available on the Internet.
Sorry that the answer is not helpful too much but the system does not handle RTC by default so you need to use configuration that works for other users.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
5 years 2 weeks ago #36424

I did it! I used this website to help me out: thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorial...to-your-raspberry-pi
5 years 2 weeks ago #36437

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Richard Roth on topic RTC Module - issues

There are a few RTC modules for the Raspberry Pi. The PCF8523 is a simple and inexpensive module but not a high precision device. It may lose or gain a second or two per day. For a high-precision, temperature compensated alternative, check out the DS3231 Precision RTC . It cost a few dollars more but well worth it. It is the one I use without any issues.
Regards,
Richard

Orion Atlas EQ-G | KSON 80mm Triplet Refractor | Orion SSAG | Lumicon 50mm Guide Scope | Canon EOS T6i | Stellarmate on RPI 3B+ | KSTARS on MacBook Air
5 years 2 weeks ago #36487

The DS3231 is the one that I have. I'm just glad that I got it working
5 years 2 weeks ago #36489

Replied by Avocette on topic RTC Module - issues

I tried using the Pi Hut method (changing to DS3231) and it worked with the Raspian OS but not with Ubuntu MATE as used in Astroberry.
5 years 2 weeks ago #36501

Replied by Avocette on topic RTC Module - issues

I’ve now found this guide on the Ubuntu MATE community forum which I shall study. ubuntu-mate.community/t/supporting-ds323...th-network-time/5711
5 years 2 weeks ago #36506

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds