INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

2 quickies, (I hope)

• Thank you received: 10

2 quickies, (I hope) was created by Michael

(1) I would like to update PHD2, trying this I just get a "firefox crashed" message. I already tried the Firefox issue fix posted elsewhere in this forum, Terminal based, which failed.

Occasionally Kstar thinks its April, and that bug does nor appear to be startup related. somewhere between focussing and plate solve the date changes, seems to just jump one month forward...

Any ideas how to tackle these two?

Thanks
Michael
5 years 3 weeks ago #37019

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 53

Replied by Ron Kramer on topic 2 quickies, (I hope)

Astroberry? (not stellarmate?)
I got around the (firefix doesn't like the mini linux versions) by installing chrome. Since there no working browser to get chrome, that was a problem. I did some guessing and do a apt-get install chrome or some such - maybe google "adding chrome to linux" for the terminal commands. I'm sure that's how I found it. Once you get Chrome working you can download the latest PHD2.

I instead upgraded to Stellarmate OS (comes with chrome instead) much better network utils and other features like serial port mapping. Plus it helps support the project and Jasems work. I'm assuming astroberry because Smate already comes with chrome installed. (and I think teamviewer) which I also had to install manually with a apt-get install teamviewer.... Also I believe that the PHD on the Smate system was already the latest version.

It's well worth the 49.00. (and a quick download). I've already gotten more than my moneies worth in personal support by having Jasem log into my computer and control my dome and scope from Kuwait. (wow mind boggling). If someone would have said to me back when I bought my first scope that SOMEDAY... I would have my own observatory... what? NO WAY - and someone will be able to use it from the other side of the planet. I'd likely have wet my pants with anticipation. = )

Here - I googled for you. This is what I used to install chrome with no browser. I then did a uninstall of firefox.
I did this...
askubuntu.com/questions/991583/how-to-in...chrome-from-terminal
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael
Last edit: 5 years 3 weeks ago by Ron Kramer.
5 years 3 weeks ago #37021

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic 2 quickies, (I hope)

Why don't you update PHD2 with a regular "sudo apt update; sudo apt upgrade"? PHD2 receives updates thorough standard ubuntu system updates so overwriting existing installation with a binary file downloaded from a website is not good idea. It might even break the integrity of update system.
BTW. instead downloading any file with a web browser you can use terminal command "wget URL_TO_FILE". It will download whatever you want without running a browser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron Kramer
5 years 3 weeks ago #37046

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds