INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Under-Voltage error

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

In a Raspberry PI forum galaxy far far away, a claim was made the this error was an OS problem and just update. Well, today is year 2019 and updates a well past this problem.

I am attempting to create a personal portable solution. I looked at the PSU and it says 5V @2.5amps. USB 3.0 is the same. The PI PSU is too short. So, a long USB was purchased and the appropriate USB 3.0 USB. Length of cable can degrade power. But 5’ shouldn’t degrade that much.

Current USB 3.0 is a two plug setup. So, the supplied PSU works. Any replacement (USB battery, plug battery, or USB 3.0 base with standard USB 2.0) generates this error.

Are there any other options for power of the Raspberry PI 3 B+ ?
4 years 11 months ago #37961

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by Magnus Larsson on topic Under-Voltage error

Hi!

I run my Rasberry Pi through a DC cenverter LM317 type (linear, not switched) that I've set to slightly more than 5.5 Volts. I still get these undervoltage warnings. FOr my portable setup, this converter is powered by a 12 V lead battery (car battery type), for my stationary, through a AC-DC converter giving 12 V out.

Magnus
4 years 11 months ago #37969

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Under-Voltage error

Beware of heaters, which might cause transitory voltage drops from current peaks when they regulate.

-Eric
4 years 11 months ago #37988

• Thank you received: 74

Replied by Clive Stachon on topic Under-Voltage error

On the RPI3b+ I use one of these and have no problems - just use an appropriate fuse. Plus I dont mix sensitive electronics on the same converter.

www.ebay.co.uk/i/192661684857?chn=ps

Plus I be a lot of people dont even see the message as remote access doesn't show the error - unless they check the logs.
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 11 months ago #37993

Replied by John Robison on topic Under-Voltage error

Hello,

Thank you these options to power these RPI 3B+ models. Supposedly, RC models are claimed to not need heaters. None are in my plans.

The USB standard for pins supplying power is 2. Running is parallel increases the amps and keeps the voltage the same. The 3.0 standard uses two connections (micro USB and USB-C) in parallel to give increased current.

Most MicroUSB cables are just 1.2 amp. Finding 2.5 amp cables (parallel) is not on any manufacturers’ minds.

Looks like a 5V 4 amp switching power with a micro USB port is the answer. These don’t exist on Amazon. They do have power to MicroUSB dongles. I do have a 5v 4000mA switching power. I think I am in business.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 11 months ago #38122

Replied by John Robison on topic Under-Voltage error

Hello,

Fantastic. The 5V 4amp switching power and Adrino MicroUSB dongle are powering up the PI successfully. Now, I must wait for clear skies. Thunderstorms are coming.

Best regards
4 years 11 months ago #38316

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by kamisan on topic Under-Voltage error

Here is my experience just this past week:

I started using Astroberry a couple months ago using a Pi Model B that I purchased 3 years ago but never used. At first I was running power to it using a switching power supply from Adafruit here:

www.adafruit.com/product/1995

After a while I became interested in going mobile. I purchased a 35Ah deep-cycle battery and U1 battery box from West Mountain Radio with their RIGrunner 4004U power distribution panel here:

www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=rr_4004_c

I didn't bother to test the output voltage of the USB port. I got one night of imaging out of it, and then on the second night I lost the VAP. To diagnose it I plugged in a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. When the 4004U power was applied the Pi booted up OK but it flashed a "lightning bolt" icon on the desktop that warned of under-voltage. I shut it down and inserted a USB Charge Doctor from Adafruit here:

www.adafruit.com/product/1852

On reboot the Charge Doctor reported that the voltage was dipping down below 4.6V with only 0.5A drawn. I contacted West Mountain Radio. The best he can figure is the Raspberry Pi is reporting that it is a low-power charge device which is influencing the behavior of the 4004U.

As an alternative I made cables that use Adafruit's UBEC converter here:

www.adafruit.com/product/1385

I no longer use the USB port. I plug the UBEC into one of the fused 12V battery connectors and then connect the Micro-USB cable to the RPi on the telescope. This power source arrangement works very well. The Pi no longer complains of under-voltage. By the way I allow the D+ and D- lines to float.

Here is a photo of two cables+UBEC:

Hope this helps.
4 years 10 months ago #39386
Attachments:

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.783 seconds