INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar Alignment issue with EKOS and Astrometry

• Thank you received: 140
Hi,
I use GPSD and it sets the time zone perfectly as do all my GPS dongles using GPSD...in fact of not heard of one that does not set the time zone...
Or am I missing something...
4 years 6 months ago #43159

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
GPSD reports the time in UTC. How that is converted to local time is handled elsewhere by the system.
4 years 6 months ago #43160

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I do believe a very large table of sites with Long and Lat values are part of KSTARS already. It takes a long time to get to my neck of the woods. I added my specific site (town) to the table. (No, stop lights. The Mayor/Water Master/Town Clerk/Post Master used to be one person.) Dream On. To me, GPSD and the Table would agree with each other. I am in the appropriate Observation site. KSTARS is ready to roll. Dream Off. Now, an observer would have to have the equipment and knowledge to accomplish what I just wrote. Any LONG and LAT from GPSD +/- between known sites would be in Time Zone and Country.

I have another clear night tonight. I have a solution to the RA slipping. I am ready to see if Astrometry and KSTARS can get to M31. It is easy to get to this time of year. It straight east of Polaris in my area. That is before it get too high. M81 is too low.

When I get done moving to Ubuntu Mate 19.04, I will used the NTPDATE -g -h. I also have procedure to set up the observation and time before I get to platesolving. Not knowing where you are and the time does not make for a platesolving or viewing good time. Stars are pretty. Space is big. But seeing Messier objects, Planets, Clusters, Galaxies and other things , that is what a scope is for.
4 years 6 months ago #43162

You are evidently aware of the Geographic location, check that it has the correct UT offset and DST rule set. Check that KStars is updated by GPS and add GPSD to your INDI Profile.
Setting up NTP is necessary before you can use ntpdate. It can be difficult if you are not familiar with it.

Things you have to have installed
sudo apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients ntp ntpdate python-gi-cairo

Lines must be added to /etc/ntp.conf -Here is my example:
# Kernel-mode PPS ref-clock for the precise seconds
server 127.127.22.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
fudge 127.127.22.0 refid PPS stratum 0

# Server from shared memory provided by gpsd
server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
fudge 127.127.28.0 refid NMEA stratum 3 time 1 0.000

You may try adding this to /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf
[Time]
NTP=127.127.28.0

/etc/default/gpsd can be configured something like this, But check your device location
# Devices gpsd should collect to at boot time.
# They need to be read/writeable, either by user gpsd or the group dialout.
DEVICES="/dev/ttyS0 /dev/pps0"
GPSD_SOCKET="/var/run/gpsd.sock"

# Other options you want to pass to gpsd
GPSD_OPTIONS="-D 5 -n"

You may consider adding this to rc.local to run at startup. It use supposed to start a GPSD client to initiate the service as preparation for NTP.
# Connect gpsd for one NMEA sync.
gpspipe -r -n 2 &

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Andrew.
4 years 6 months ago #43163
Attachments:

Hello,

Thank you for the screen shots. I was able to compare my selections. I do not have CCD camera yet. I am casually observing and working kinks out. I confirm that I have selected the same settings for GPS guidance of KSTARS and the use of EKOS equipment management.

I have my RA issues fixed. I have the 19.04 issues fixed. Now for a clear night get Astrometry working. As I stated, Observation GPS Location, is where my site was not selected. Next clear night I will try again. I am under 19.04 now. For a while, Ubuntu-mate was complaining about a partial upgrade. Those problems are now fixed under 19.04.
4 years 6 months ago #43210

Are you testing this indoors? If so you may just be having issues getting a fix. You can monitor the gps status with gpsmon or cgps or xgps. Plus from within the indi driver. All things being equal when the indi driver receives a fix everything should update. And UTC offset is actually taken from the operating system's settings.
4 years 6 months ago #43228

Hello Ihoujin,

I can and have. I test with a long USB extension and place the device in the window sill. It does get a lock there. I prefer testing outdoors. I like seeing tech working together for a specific goal.
4 years 6 months ago #43229

Hello,

I have had several clear nights. I used PoleMaster software to get me aligned first. It works.

Last night, I opened KSTARS and EKOS. GPSD is working. PoleMaster is working. I was determined to see Astrometry working. I tested Astrometry. Nope. Resolver quite after 0 secs. I resorted to PoleMaster software. I connected to the device.

No image shows up in Astrometry. When using Observation List, I clicked on the GPS button. This took me to a blank city and no GPS coordinates. I searched for my saved coordinates by city. I am now in a time zone.

To me, something isn’t talking between Indi Control panel and KSTARS. KSTARS never gets a feed from EKOS with the GPSD position. And EKOS does know where it is to match a PoleMaster image to the GPSD coordinates.

I spend too much time watching Astrometry time-out and show a blank screen. I don’t have all night to wait. I have a wish list that I would like to see.

Tomorrow, I will set everything up outside and look at the logs to see if GPSD is stumped on communicating with KSTARS. I want this to work.
4 years 6 months ago #43843

• Thank you received: 4
There is an issue with GPS dongle together with chrony/ntpd.
I wonder whether you have met such issue or not
indilib.org/forum/development/5231-indi-...from-gpsd.html#40677
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by ecloud.
4 years 6 months ago #43857

Hello,

ecloud, I appreciated the link. I followed it to another link. The child link provided a Stellermate tool called Serial Port Mapper. No tool like this is included with Astroberry. This should be a similar tool with AstroBerry. The Vendor ID and Product ID with SIMLINK+ = "Mount" should work but the parser wants the full text. I am seeking a solution for USB devices.

I attempted to use Rules to setup the GPSD and AstroEQ. SIMLINK failed miserablely. I seem to be on the correct path as KSTARS now shows the GPSD coordinates. However, Observation Planner still does not know where it is at. I have my coordinates tied to a city. So, I help it. This looks like an absolute match for the GPS and CITY to match. Clicking on the GPS button pulls up a blank city. The good news is the GPSD is functioning.
4 years 6 months ago #43878

• Thank you received: 0
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by snow jhon.
4 years 6 months ago #43972

Hello,

I am happy to report the SYMLINK issue is resolved. Loose nut behind the keyboard is a good analogy. I am seeking a clear night to have everything working as design. AstroEQ and GPSD are now on more solid footing. I am interested in what Astrometry will provide.
4 years 6 months ago #43992

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.018 seconds