INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Polar Alignment issue with EKOS and Astrometry

• Thank you received: 0
I test with a long USB extension and place the device in the window sill. It does get a lock there. I prefer testing outdoors. I like seeing tech working together for a specific goal.
4 years 2 months ago #48062

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I also use a USB extension cable to test my DIY GPS when I am downstairs. I extend it to a window. I get a lock then.

Upstairs, I do not have to use an extension cable. I get a connection from multiple satellites. To see this, makes me wonder how much our homes are bombarded from stuff above us.
4 years 2 months ago #48071

One of the last updates removed the automatic WCS processing because of some issue on slower machines. I think there is some issues still with the new WCS processing as I am getting a seg fault if the AutoWCS is turned on. shareit vidmate vidmate app
3 years 6 months ago #59486

I think that is what I tried doing and eventually got closer. But what seemed strange was that besides the correction vector there was a large arc (part of a circle) also indicated on the screen and it did not look like the correction vector was headed toward the center of that circle. So I am not sure what that circle represented. At one point ( and here my memory fails me just when) there was a celestial coordinate system overlap on one of my images (may have been during just a solve and sync); that might be nice to have during the polar alignment.
3 years 6 months ago #59487

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Thank you for reminding me about idiosyncrasies about PA. When I level and align my tripod, I use a combo compass with a bubble level. This compass is claimed to be a “military” grade compass.

I will mark my tripod legs next outing to provide consistent PA. I have to account family looking with me.

The green arrow is a measure of how much AZ and ALT the OTA is from the Celestial Pole. I use real time to see where Polaris is. The length of the arrow and its vector says how much up, down, left, and right the OTA must go. If very long the placement is bad.

If bad PA setup, level is really good to keep. Use three star alignment. The adjustment screws of the mount are limited. ALT is limited also.
3 years 6 months ago #59504

For almost all work except very near the poles, polar alignment of 2' or less is sufficient. That is reasonably easy to attain. vidmate.app saveinsta
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by jose sally.
1 year 8 months ago #84068

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.476 seconds