INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Server 2.0.0 is available now!

• Thank you received: 375
Astroberry Server is a ready to use system for Raspberry Pi for controlling all your astronomy equipment. It handles all astronomy equipment supported by INDI server.

Visit www.astroberry.io for details and system image.

The system features:

- Support for Raspberry Pi 3 and 4
- Raspbian Buster Desktop
- APT repository for Raspbian Buster (yes, now any Raspbian Buster user can install Astroberry Server with 'apt install')
- Web interface featuring GPS Panel and Astro Panel (celestial almanac for your localization)
- Astroberry Wireless Hotspot allowing to access the system directly i.e. without external wireless network eg. in the field
- Remote desktop accessible over VNC at astroberry.local:5900 or a web browser at astroberry.local/desktop
- KStars planetarium software and Ekos with all available device drivers plus custom astroberry drivers
- SkyChart / Cartes du Ciel planetarium program
- Hallo Northern SKY planetarium program
- CCDciel capture software
- Astrometry for field solving
- ASTAP, the Astrometric STAcking Program
- PHD2 for autoguiding
- Gnome Predict for satellite tracking
- oaCapture for planetary imaging
- SER Player for watching captured video streams
- Astroberry PiFace drivers for a relay and focuser control
- Astroberry DIY drivers for focuser and relay board
- Astroberry PiFace drivers for focuser and relay board
- Astroberry Motor HAT for focuser based on Adafruit Motor HAT
- File sharing server allowing for network access to captured images
- Support for raspi-config (console) and rc_gui (graphical UI) for easy configuration of Raspberry Pi options
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Stachon, Craig, Brian, Fabio Silvi, Bernd Limburg
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 4 months ago #46014
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks! I've always loved Astroberry.

However, right now, the download link for the compressed img is not working.
www.astroberry.io/distro/astroberry-server_2.0.0.img.xz

Finally, I was able to download it, just deleting the .xz extension from the url ;)
www.astroberry.io/distro/astroberry-server_2.0.0.img
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Riccardo Sallusti.
4 years 4 months ago #46027
4 years 4 months ago #46034
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi Radek, and many thanks for your efforts in preparing Astroberry 2.0.0!
Of course some of us are going to have some tiny issues in the coming days, and the one that is stumping me is to do with the 'Weather Plugin'. The first couple of times I attempted to set it up I was running in HotSpot mode and when I realized this, I hit 'Cancel' in the Weather Preferences dialogue box. This closed not only the dialogue box but also the whole task bar disappeared. I didn't have the skills to get it going again, so had to carry out a brutal physical power down/power up to recover. Happily this didn't damage the SD card image.
I tried updating the Weather Preferences again this time with Internet connection and was successful. However my location data was not saved on shutdown so it seems this is a burden of each power up routine at the moment.
I have subsequently added a GPS dongle (installed GPSD etc) and wondered if the GPS data could be used to establish my location coordinates? I read the intriguing words: - Web Interface featuring GPS Panel and Astro Panel....... in your original post and just wondered if you could add a little more information about how to use these?
Thanks, Ed
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Avocette.
4 years 4 months ago #46050
Hi Ed, Thanks for your input. Issues reporting is highly appreciated. Let's make it easier for other users too and use github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server/issues

In your very case, it's not really an issue, but I understand that user manual would make it easier. Especially for new features introduced in this version.

Astro Panel (accessible in the sliding menu) determines location in the following order:
- user weather file (/home/astroberry/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-astroberry/panels/panel)
- system weather file (/etc/xdg/lxpanel/LXDE-astroberry/panels/panel)
- config file (/etc/astropanel.conf)
- GPS

At the first boot only system weather file exists, so default location for weather and Astro Panel are Warsaw, Poland.
As soon as you customize your Taskbar user weather file is used. BTW If you set the location for the first time use Panel Settings / Panel Applets and scroll to Weather Plugin, then click Preferences. Otherwise the settings will not be saved. It should not be a problem for subsequent changes. This comes from the panels logic (I do not program this part) - the first customization of Taskbar makes a copy of system weather file (default) to user weather file.
Anyway, when changing Weather Plugin location you need to be online, because the Weather Plugin uses Open Weather Map as source of location and weather data.

Nevertheless, you can create your own configuration (see config file above). This should make Astro Panel ignore Weather Plugin location data. It should but it does not at the moment due to my mistake.
As the matter of fact the proper order should be:
- config file (/etc/astropanel.conf)
- GPS
- user weather file (/home/astroberry/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-astroberry/panels/panel)
- system weather file (/etc/xdg/lxpanel/LXDE-astroberry/panels/panel)

I realized this fact after I have released the system. It will be changed in the future versions. It will come with regular system updates so you don't need to worry.
As for now just set a proper location in Weather Plugin and you will be fine, both for weather and Astro Panel.

And last but not least, yes the Astro Panel can use GPS data as a source of location ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom, Avocette
4 years 4 months ago #46051
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi,

Is the kstars nightly build?

Regards,
Tom
4 years 4 months ago #46073
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi Radek, After a couple of days of 'playing', I have noted a few things which are not so much issues, but perhaps missing FAQs to help the first time user:
I happen to use a Swiss French keyboard layout so the default password is 'astroberrz' - easy enough to cope with until you can log into the raspi-config tab menus. I also happen to use an iPad as my client terminal so I didn't see the sliding panel in the iOS Firefox browser implementation. I did see this when I swapped over to a Windows 10 laptop, and immediately understood about the sliding panel, although not all functions perfectly (yet).
I confirmed that the gpsd daemon was active and so tried to use my GPS dongle, after editing /etc/default/gpsd to include the device as dev/ttyACM0. The GPS Satellite Map did pick up several satellites, but never at enough signal strength to influence the GPS info Lat and Longitude. The same dongle normally works very well in EKOS/Indi with a full 3D fix in seconds. Is there some extra constraint in the Astroberry implementation which requires a higher signal strength (I wouldn't have thought so)?
My normal configuration involves being in the field away from home WiFi and therefore the Internet, and using the RPi as a WiFi HotSpot. This does work, but the lack of Internet means that some functionality, such as the Weather App, and the location setting, are a bit redundant.
I'll keep on trying things out as I find time!
Thanks again, Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 4 months ago #46101
  • Thank you received: 140
Just a FYI, 4k does NOT work on this version of Astroberry, yet I have buster on another card and runs in 4K fine, is there a reason for this not working, as I use a 4k monitor...one of the reasons to move to rpi4 was the 4k option, I have tried editing the config.txt file but no use...or raspi-config does not display the 4k resolutions either, yet they are there in Raspbian buster...
4 years 4 months ago #46102
Managed to get it up to 2560 x 1600 but can’t get put to 4k...the settings to change are not there the same as they are on straight raspbian buster..
4 years 4 months ago #46106
How do you stop this coming up every boot up...I have done all the required setting up...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 4 months ago #46107
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 6

Same for me, cannot get rid of it too... :)
4 years 4 months ago #46108

I get this and a password box coming up...and can’t stop either of them.... any ideas...? :)
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 4 months ago #46109
Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.873 seconds