INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Server 2.0.0 is available now!

• Thank you received: 375
To clarify GPS Panel and Astro Panel functionalities and how they work.

GPS Panel - shows GPS position and time read from real GPS. Additionally it shows satellites and signal strength.
Astro Panel - shows information about Polaris, Moon, Sun and Solar System planets. It get's location from GPS or /etc/astropanel.conf file. If no GPS and config file exist it gets location from Weather Plugin. If none of these exist it will show demo data, which are set to Warsaw, Poland.

See the screenshots below.

GPS Panel

Astro Panel
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, Avocette
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 4 months ago #46235
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 6

Ah, so perhaps it was my mistake assuming that the GPS panel would also show custom coordinates if GPS was not present, getting data from astropanel.config.
If that's the case, all is working as intended then. However it could be a nice add on feature for the future. ;)

Thanks for clarifying
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek, AstroNerd
4 years 4 months ago #46236
  • Thank you received: 140
So looking at the posts above, are we to assume that making changes in the astropanel.conf file will just update the info in the astropanel, and do nothing for the GPS panel, that will still default to Warsaw, unless we have a GPS Adapter connected and working, then it will update to our own current position....
Have I got that correct..?.
And editing that file, is that the only or proper way to update that info, or is there another as I don’t want to mess any files up... :(
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 4 months ago #46246
This is absolutely correct. GPS Panel is designed to show real and the actual GPS position and if it is not available it shows default position (hard coded because it needs to show something). Should you consider any other approach do not hesitate to suggest it. It was just my assumption but I would be more than happy to do it the way you want.
To change this behavior you need to change gpspanel.py file, which I do not recommend because all the changes will be overwritten by future updates. So it is better I change it for all the users.
Changing astropanel.conf does nothing to gpspanel. It just works with Astro Panel, which calculates bodies positions for a specific location (which can come from GPS or static config).

BTW. I agree it is kind of a mess but I haven't came up with a good solution. As for now there are separate locations for:
1. Astro Panel (GPS or astropanel.conf file or Weather Plugin location)
2. GPS Panel (only real GPS receiver)
3. KStars (GPS or static configuration of KStars location)

Any ideas how to combine these? Bear in mind that before first start of Kstars it's configuration defaults to London, before connecting GPS receiver GPS Panel defaults to Warsaw, before setting up astropanel.conf Astro Panel defaults to GPS or Weather Plugin ;-)
4 years 4 months ago #46247
  • Thank you received: 6
My suggestion:
GPS Panel uses GPS only if a GPS is present, otherwise it defaults to a config file that, at this point, could be unique for both GPS and Astro panels.
If no config file, then the weather app, as you already do, could be second choice.
This way you simplify it a bit.

In StellarMate, all system's coordinates are got from the mobile app: sometimes, even if I use StellarMate at home, I first connect to it with the mobile app, just to set or update the gps position.
Is AstroBerry we do non have a mobile app (yet...) so a unique config file could be the solution.

Cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 4 months ago #46248

It’s actually all excellent, the only advice I could offer, is to ditch the astropanel.conf file, as it’s not really needed, as the info can come from the weather app or a GPS, That is more than sufficent, as dummies like me don’t want to be going into config files and editing...as that’s how things break... :(

Or if the astropanel.conf file is needed, (for other reasons) then maybe make it easier for users to input there own data...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
4 years 4 months ago #46249
Any ideas anyone, GPS now connected and I get this on both GPS and astropanel....
4 years 4 months ago #46261
Attachments:
Now showing this....not sure what has happened... :(
4 years 4 months ago #46262
Attachments:
Ok, false alarm, a second reboot seemed to sort it. :)
4 years 4 months ago #46263
Ok, so I got a GPS fix in Ekos, and on the panel.... :)
4 years 4 months ago #46268
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 74
Radek here is my suggestion:-

1. Simplify - do we need the skymap,full GPS info - i dont but interested to know if others do. The location map is fine and enough for me !

2. Set up simple ALL user environment variables called Latposition,Lonposition,Elevation (names could be anything ). Allow user to set these via a simple Web interface/panel. Put them in users profile. That makes them permanent (unless edited again). Should only need to be done once unless user has moved location and has no GPS and no internet. This becomes the default!

3. Location map function - using something like openstreetmap we can simply allow a user to select a location and get the coordinates (lat/Long) example here forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=57038
and set Environment vars above to extracted Lat/Lon. Again only needs to be done once per session BUT does need Internet

4. Using GPSPIPE command and DQ application (json parser) extract Lat,Lon,Elevation,Date/Time - null is returned if nothing exists for TPV data - so command could be as simple as gpspipe -w -n 4 -p |grep TPV |jq .lon (for longtitude) and set Environment variable appropriately. but only if value is returned (the GPSPIPE command will return nothing if no TPV data has been produced.

This could be a script on a timer as per GPSPanel. GPSPIPE doesn't need root permissions to work with GPSD !

This will have no effect if no GPS device is fitted or working!

Note - have tried out the simple GPSPIPE commands on my Ublox7 and they work - when the GPS device works.

So unless the Environment vars have been changed in one of the above ways the "default" ones in the profile will always apply.

This is much like you existing system but simpler IMO and doesn't depend on Python but would need Java for the Openstreetmap item described in (3).

Anyway just an idea ! :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
4 years 4 months ago #46277
Thanks for the ideas guys! Each and every worth considering.
Some users do not use GPS at all, so GPS Panel is useless for them but they will would like to use Astro Panel with Solar System objects data. We have to have good source of location data for users that do not use GPS, so config file is a must because... they will not necessarily use Weather Plugin at all.
So things are getting complicated indeed. Especially if we add location data for KStars to this puzzle. To complicate things even more some users prefer to use Skychart than KStars...
The idea to use environment variables seems interesting and easy to implement. Let me rethink the approach. There is some space for improvement for sure.

I'm very curious about 'bad gateway' errors you report. Technically speaking the root cause is gpspanel.service or respectively astropanel.service is down, so nginx server which handles web interface cannot display content in sliding menu panels. Have no idea why would they go down though. To nail it down I need your help.
If it happens just run (depending which panel is not available):
systemctl status gpspanel.service
OR
systemctl status astropanel.service

Send the output to github.com/rkaczorek/astroberry-server/issues or here.
4 years 4 months ago #46281
Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.842 seconds