INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Origional QHY5 to work with INdI / Ekos

• Thank you received: 140
Hi all and Merry Christmas :)

I have an original QHY5 camera, and can’t get it to work with INdI / Ekos, it’s not the newer QHY5II and am using Astroberry 2.0

Any ideas anyone...?
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 3 months ago #47182

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
I do have the original one, it is working but ... from time to time it just falls over and die.
You should have the qhy_ccd_test binary installed, run it and see what output you get.

I have now replace the QHY5 with a QHY5L-II-M as it's more sensitive and I do use it in the OAG.
4 years 3 months ago #47183

• Thank you received: 92
The classic QHY5 only works using older INDI drivers. See this long thread:

www.indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/5292-qh....html?start=48#40909

Han
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 3 months ago #47191

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

This thread is interesting. I was not aware of qhy_ccd_test. I just ran it. I get the GetQHYCCDSingleFrame failure, error: -1 at the end. This same error happens with both QHY devices during Polar Alignment, the PoleMaster and QHY5L-IIC devices. I can use both devices outside of INDI. I have cleared out any QHY config files in my INDI folder. I have attempted to use older drivers. Nothing seems to be working with these QHY devices, PoleMaster and QHY5L-II-C. This is the output from the tool. And the error is found and then the cancellation. Both the PoleMaster and the QHY5L-II-C can do 1280 x 960 images.

Default read mode name STANDARD MODE
Read mode name STANDARD MODE
GetQHYCCDChipInfo in this ReadMode: imageW: 1280 imageH: 960
SetQHYCCDParam CONTROL_EXPOSURE set to: 1, success.
SetQHYCCDResolution roiStartX x roiStartY: 0 x 0
SetQHYCCDResolution roiSizeX x roiSizeY : 1280 x 960
SetQHYCCDBinMode set to: binX: 1, binY: 1, success.
ExpQHYCCDSingleFrame(pCamHandle) - start...
ExpQHYCCDSingleFrame(pCamHandle) - end...
ExpQHYCCDSingleFrame success (8193).
Allocated memory for frame: 2925600 [uchar].
GetQHYCCDSingleFrame failure, error: -1
CancelQHYCCDExposingAndReadout success.
Close QHYCCD success.
SDK resources released.
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by John Robison. Reason: additional info
4 years 3 months ago #47280

• Thank you received: 2
I have an old QHY, what a I have done and works is the following.:

1. Open a terminal with root permissions and check which camera vid and pid I have with command: "lsusb" it list usb devices connected. I can deduct that I have a QHY from Vendor ID (VID) 16c0 and the Product ID (PID) 296a.
2. Then go where you have de following file to edit. 85-qhy.rules, it could be on /etc/udev/rules.d/ or on astroberry 2.0: /lib/udev/rules.d/
3. edit with nano and inspect the file, and locate the entry where there are your vendor, in my case 16c0. And a PID similar, i have found 296c. I have duplicated the line replaced the PID to mine 296a.
It shows something like this: ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16c0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="296a", RUN+="/sbin/fxload -t fx2 -I /lib/firmware/qhy/QHY5.HEX -D $env{DEVNAME} -s /lib/firmware/qhy/QHY5LOADER.HEX"
This will tell something like when plug a USB from VID and is that PID, load this firmware.
In my case this would be nice to be added to default repository.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 2 months ago #48359

Tried this and my QHY when connected does not even show up under “lsusb”... so does not work for me.. :(
4 years 2 months ago #48370

• Thank you received: 182
The QHY5 does have a different vendor ID as far as I recall. The Orion Starshoot Autoguider is using the QHY5 driver and that comes up with ID 1674, if I remember correctly.
You may want to run lsusb with and without your camera connected, then note whether there is a differential, which would identify the camera ID. Then check in the 85-qhy.rules file that the correct driver is used for it and whether is gets loaded using qhy_ccd_test.
Last time I checked a couple or months ago the camera was recognized, but depends on whether the required driver is contained in the last INDI installation you have on your machine.
4 years 2 months ago #48383

Yes, that is exactly what I did, and there is no difference with or without camera connected...
4 years 2 months ago #48408

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.763 seconds