Since my rig is out of commission presently as I try to resolve the QHY/ZWO guidecam woes, I'm out with my wife trying to get her CG5 up and running with her new telescope, and her Astroberry Pi is doing something unexpected.
When we are in the polar alignment module, it's supposed to take a pic, platesolve, rotate mount 30degrees, take a pic, platesolve, rotate 30 degrees, take a pic, platesolve final time. Her mount is taking the initial image, rotating 90 degrees, and then nothing as RA doesn't change. I am obviously overlooking something in how this mount works . Anyone know what that might be?
EDIT: Well, I dunno what's going on. My iOptron CEM25p showed RA as 7:xx:xx (or 8:xx:xx when last checked) in Ekos and moved/updated when I moved the mount with the hand controller. The CG5, on the other hand, at home, showed round 14:xx:xx when we last tried. Slewing through RA, the number suddenly changed to 8:xx:xx similar to my iOptron.
We also noted there were communication errors. I thought this might be the shared cable (Starsense/GPS splitter). Disconnected Starsense and GPS. Mount connected fine. Reconnected all cables. Mount still connected fine. No idea what caused the error.
Tomorrow I'll do some more troubleshooting, enable logging, etc. Wife was disappointed not to get a shot through the new scope, but that's how it goes.
As you say it needs logs but one issue is that Ra is undefined at the pole and uncertain close to it. Tiny errors can have a huge effect on Ra. This makes Ra unusable as a measure of position near the pole. Different mounts will handle this differently.
Maybe setting the declination to be close but not at the pole will help, try 88 or 89 degrees. You can't go far because the polar align helper sets the declination hint to 90 for the solver and if you are too far away the solve will fail. I've just tried 88d50' with my AVX and it's fine. Only indoors with a CCD simulator but I get the correct slews, solves and what looks like a reasonable solution.
I've not looked at the PAH before because I can't see the pole from where I usually set up.
I can't see an obvious reason why it needs to be able to see the pole, except that this is baked into the solver configuration and if you are too far from the pole the solve fails. Does anyone know why?
I'm "working" the issue this morning, and one thing I noticed is the CG5 hand controller was set to "Manual" date and time input instead of the GPS unit (this mount has a separate GPS module attached to one of the tripod legs). I changed that and now both mounts on the patio are within 3 minutes of each other RA and DEC.
No error messages, but mount still not working quite right.
When trying to polar align, mount still travels 90 degrees instead of 30. And RA never is able to increase sufficiently for it to take the second picture even if it is at 90 degrees. It's as if RA is incrementing only half or 1/3 what it should be.
We slewed to Sirius and tried to plate solve. Sirius wasn't in fov. It kept trying to get it in fov but kept slewing back so the stars didn't actually move. Hopefully related to above RA issue.
I actually started reading the AVX threads here and learned a few things. Our Starsense HC needs a firmware update. The camera might also. We're going to do that in a bit. That should solve some issues.
We upgraded the firmware in the HC and cam, and now we get a host of new buttons looking more like my iOptron e.g. Park/Unpark and Track/Stop Tracking. Unfortunately, we're no longer reading changes in RA. Maybe I'm being thick again, but on my iOptron CEM25p, when the mount is not tracking, RA advances with time, and when the mount is tracking, RA stops advancing with time. On the CG5 it's advancing no matter what's selected.
We removed the Celestron GPS module and the Starsense camera/HC, and then the mount worked. We got Park/Unpark and Track/Stop. Finally were able to get first light on the new scope! Wife will process pics (M42 and Bode's). Of course, she's disappointed we had to revert to an older version of the mount, hardware wise, but there's some good news, too. She liked the plate solving and realized she actually won't need the Starsense, and with that she no longer has to stick with Celestron for a future upgrade.
She was able to get 120s unguided, but dropped to 90s exposures for good measure. I did the same on my ioptron rig, imaging the same targets.
Her mount did not flip., so that's something we have to address.
And we did not try to get guiding up and running, though if conditions are favorable tonight and she feels like tackling it.