INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ttyUSB0 issues on OnStepp and RasPi4

• Thank you received: 11
Hi Cicera,
I see a lot of Linux passing by which I honestly don't understand much of.....
This is my experience:
I have an EQDrive system on my G11 that mimics a Skywatcher mount and so is usable with EQmod.
Worked perfectly with Windows but with Stellarmate I ran into a problem when starting EKOS:

[WARNING] Port /dev/ttyUSB0 is already used by another driver or process.
[WARNING] Communication with /dev/ttyUSB0 @ 9600 failed. Starting Auto Search...

After some talk with Jasem :
"I'm starting to suspect that something else is interfering with it. Maybe the GPS daemon? in dmesg it was shown pps0
Try to disable gpsd:
sudo systemctl stop gpsd gpsd.socket"

That was it! EQDrive now worked on Stellarmate RPi !
But the problem returned so the final solution:
Now totally disabled the gpsd deamon. Edited the /etc/default/gpsd script and made:

START_DEAMON="false"
USBAUTO="false"
and also put # in front of the rest...

Since then I use it without a glitch :-)

Cheers, Arnold
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pep, Rafael Compassi, jiberjaber
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Arnold de Bruin.
4 years 2 months ago #48651

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

Yes, GPS devices are very needy and speedy at grabbing communication ports. If ttyACM0 is in use and ttyUSB0 is enabled, the GPS will claim ttyUSB0. I am puzzled why ttyUSB0 is even looked at. My RPI3B+ does not have a device labeled ttyUSB0 as default. Given the talk about Stellarmate, has Stellarmate established ttyUSB0? The device ttyUSB0 cannot be shared by greedy devices like a GPS. GPS devices are supposed to chatter.

Under Astroberry 1.1 and 2.0.0, I use ttyACM* for the multiple RS232 needs I have with my gear. I have both EQMount/EQDRIVE and GPSD running simultaneously. I have two rules for RS232 devices. One is GPS. The other is EQDRIVE. The GPS gets ttyACM0. The EQDRIVE gets ttyACM1. All other USB devices (three cameras) share ttyACM2.

GPSD is used to say the elevation and location of the scope. Manual setup of KSTARS is possible. Therefore, unnecessary devices should be disabled. Devices will only load if plugged in. Linux is cool that why. Have fun and clear skies.
4 years 2 months ago #48656

• Thank you received: 0
Hi to everyone,

Today I'll try it to "Kill" the gpsd from the ttyUSB0 and I'm sure that will work my little (But biggest) OnStep .

But last night I check if I had the cp210x drivers was installed (By modprobe cp210x) and seems that no are. Someone could help to me to install or re-install the drivers?

About the issue that I have, astroberry 1 or astroberry 2 are similars? It's mean, if I should install astroberry 1 I succed something diferent from astroberry2?

Thanks a lot,

Pep
4 years 1 month ago #48658

Hello guys,

<em><strong>WORKS!!!! </strong></em>

Thanks to everyone who helped me and supported me at all times: wolfi, Hy, Adaro, wbirk, aj55, ...:cheer: ... even when at some point I was tempted by the dark side ...:blink: :evil: :woohoo:
At the end it have been the "gpsd" .... ... the gpsd nightmare ...:evil: :sick: :silly:

Thanks again, all of you who helped me and I hope, this forum-topic, helps people who have a problem like this.
Curious that this is not fixed this issue on astroberry2, I suppose in the next version of astroberry they will already sock it.

By the way, with this I can update without any problems when needed, right?

Thanks again to all !!!!
Today I will sleep peacefully.:) ;)

Deeply thanks,

Pep

I change the topic for [SOLVED]?
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Pep.
4 years 1 month ago #48664
Attachments:

Hello,

Please send me your rules for these two devices.

LX200 OneStep.
GPSD

Also send me your lsusb dump.

Thank you.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by John Robison.
4 years 1 month ago #48666

Hy Arado,

The OnStep rule is:

KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OnStep"

About GPSD rule I don't touch nothing I only do it that Aj55 suggest it about to not use from boot moment.
If you want I send it but is to large... (but I don't touch nothing inside).
Thanks,
Pep
PD:
Sorry... I look inside of the gpsd rule and I find my device: (I hope that was you ask me)

# Garmin International GPSmap, various models (tested with Garmin GPS 18 USB) [linux module: garmin_gps]
ATTRS{idVendor}=="091e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0003", SYMLINK+="gps%n", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="gpsdctl@%k.service"
# Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x Composite Device (Used by Holux m241 and Wintec grays2 wbt-201) [linux module: cp210x]
ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", SYMLINK+="gps%n", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="gpsdctl@%k.service"

# Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. [linux module: cp210x]
ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea71", SYMLINK+="gps%n", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="gpsdctl@%k.service"
4 years 1 month ago #48667

Let's start with creating a 76-LX200.rules

In this document, place this string. No spaces between comments

KERNEL=="ttyUSB*",SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4",ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60",MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OnStep"

The second step is create a 76-GARMIN.rules. Add these strings. The "#" symbol is a comment field.

# Garmin International GPSmap, various models (tested with Garmin GPS 18 USB) [linux module: garmin_gps]

KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="091e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0003", SYMLINK+="gps%n", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="gpsdctl@%k.service"

# Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x Composite Device (Used by Holux m241 and Wintec grays2 wbt-201) [linux module: cp210x]

KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb",ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", SYMLINK+="gps%n", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="gpsdctl@%k.service"

# Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. [linux module: cp210x]

KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb",ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea71", SYMLINK+="gps%n", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="gpsdctl@%k.service"[/quote]

Reboot the system. See if there are two ttyUSB ports. If not, use dmesg udevadmn and post the results.
4 years 1 month ago #48668

Hi,
I just do it all the tries that you suggest it and not there are another ttyUSB*. Only this:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root plugdev 188, 0 de gen. 29 23:17 /dev/ttyUSB0

About dmesg udevadmn I don't know how to do it.
But I do it this:
...$ sudo dmesg | grep ttyUSB*
[ 4.307911] usb 1-1.4: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I come back on same conditions for not to break nothing, now the tool works...
I hope give you enough information.

Thanks for all,
Pep
4 years 1 month ago #48689

Hello,

If I am reading this right, two new rules as I described were created. Upon reboot, a check for ttyUSB variations was attempt. The result was ttyUSB0.

I can confirm the same results. Please replace all ttyUSB with ttyACM. Resave the both files. Look in /lib/udev/rules.d for the gps rules. Also, check /etc/udev/rules.d for gps rules. Rename any current files calling out the Garmin. Then reboot.
4 years 1 month ago #48695

Hi Arado,

Yes, I followed (and copy and paste) all the things that you would to check.

If I understand right, I do the same (only in both 76-* files) but this time change ttyUSB0 for ttyAMC, save and reboot and then check if appear some other ttyAMC device, doesn't it?
And, before to reboot change, too. Into the GPS.rules (or only garmin. rules?), change gps for garmin?
This evening I'll check it.

For future issues of others users about same problem, I need to do something because the people goes directly to the solution post?

Yours,
Pep
4 years 1 month ago #48709

• Thank you received: 27

hi!
let me guess. you get an error stating that exposure was started 3 times and cannot be finished?

this is a problem i know from the 120 MM. there is a workaround.
- use a USB 2 cable, NOT a USB 3 cable
- try the first exposure with 0.01 s exposure time. after that, you can do longer exposures.
- you can also try to set the camera to 8 bit depth.

maybe that helps ...
yours wolfi
4 years 1 month ago #48719

Hello,

Please be sure to use ttyACM. No such device exists for ttyAMC.

Yes. Only rename GPS files with Garmin in them. Other GPS files are for the different GPS services INDI can provide.

This should be only one file in one location. Buster is a stickler about where rules are located. Sometimes, applications place rules in other OS distribution locations. /etc/udev is legacy.
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by John Robison.
4 years 1 month ago #48722

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.794 seconds