INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

uploading images to remote (client?)

• Thank you received: 17
I am running the Astroberry Server on an Rpi-4 and I am accessing the server from a desktop in the house over ethernet to the Rpi-4. Is it possible to only capture and upload the images to the 'remote' desktop so they don't stay on the Rpi? I have tried "Upload" - Local with the Remote window showing this: //Ron2012PC/users/ron/temp (a shared directory in the desktop). But this does not work. I have also tried giving it the remote computers IP address on the local home network and that does not work. It seems like the intent of this File Setting is to do what I am asking, but I cannot figure out how.

thanks,
4 years 2 months ago #48282

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 27
Hi,

depends on how your setup is.
- What OS is your desktop machine
- Kstars on desktop machine and remote indi. ( Thats easy, just configure upload to client)
- Acces by VNC or RDP to the rpi its get more complicated. (If both systems are Linux setup nfs and share a directory, if it is windows you will need to set up samba on the pi to get access to a shared folder on the windows pc, but that can take lot of experimenting)

Paul
4 years 2 months ago #48300

• Thank you received: 140

You need to set ekos to upload to “client” and not remote, as the rpi is the remote device in your set up, and your PC is the client....there is a setting in ekos for this... :)
4 years 2 months ago #48302

Yes that is correct, but will only work if Kstars is run on the desktop computer. (For VNC / RDP it will be different)

Paul
4 years 2 months ago #48303

ok, I am running the Astroberry Server on the Rpi and I access it by through a Chrome webpage on the Desktop which is Windows 7. Or I could access thru VNC. I have set up Samba on the Rpi and I can physically move the files myself from the Rpi to the Windows machine, but I was looking for a way to do it automatically. Perhaps being able to run a background program (like an ftp command) on the Rpi after it captures a (scheduled) image, so the image files moved off the Rpi.

I have a 32 Gb SD in the Rpi, so having the images on it is probably not a big deal for any nights work. I just thought I was missing something in the setup.

thanks,
Ron
4 years 2 months ago #48306

Hi,

what you have to try:

- make a shared folder on the windows pc
- on the raspberry mount that shared folder to a local folder (google access windows folder from Linux, that will show several ways, but i donr't know if all of them are correct ...)

Then in the kstars that directory should be used in kstars. Files will then automatically to the windows directory.

Paul
4 years 2 months ago #48307

• Thank you received: 420
I'd advise you to let Ekos store the images as close to the camera as possible, meaning on the RPi hard disk or a USB drive attached to it. Transferring large files over a network connection (and in this context 32 Mb is pretty large) introduces a latency since Ekos will wait until the image has been stored. Is there a specific reason why you want them transferred automatically? If it is for inspection, for instance, then I'd advise to install some image viewer on the RPi and inspect them there via VNC. If it is for processing then you might as well wait until all images have been taken but that's up to you of course.

Wouter
4 years 2 months ago #48308

• Thank you received: 74
A non intrusive way to transfer files using Samba and Windows can be provided by any number of Windows "Sync" programs - One such example provided by a Microsoft employee is Robocopy - there are plenty of others too (some not free) . They will not impact on your network is its decent (5ghz 700mb or preferably a wired GB connection.

There is also Synctoy also from Microsoft and Fastcopy - the latter is supposedly very good large files copy but I have no experience of Fastcopy.

its free so you can give it a try and see if it has any effect - seem to remember it had a GUI that also allowed "priority" setting to not effect your network

So long as you can see the directory where your images are stored you can use the above.

Slow network then use a Windows formatted USB3 SSD drive and something like Rsync on Linux.

I think that is what you were asking for :-)
RPI3 Ubuntu 16.04 / AMD desktop Kstars under Ubuntu 16.04 Mounts :azeq6 ,SWAZGoTo

RPI3 Fedora testing out on AMD desktop Fedpra 28 - running kstars 2.9.4 , Indilib 1.7.4 ?????
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Clive Stachon.
4 years 2 months ago #48311

thanks all,
I had no imperative reason to remove the images, other than if I forget to do it they will build up on the SD card. I have an Rpi driven Allsky Camera that takes pictures continuously and if I don't offload them every 10 days they will fill up memory. So I have background process that moves the ones I want to keep and removes the others after 10 days.

I was sort of looking for something like this, but I do have Samba working between my Desktop and the Rpi, at the scope, so it is easy enough to offload the pictures after a night of collection. I can see that transferring images while the scheduler is running could cause issues; so things are fine the way they are.

thanks.
Ron
4 years 2 months ago #48332

• Thank you received: 375
If you really need to write files to remote disk, the approach suggested by @PDB is the way to go. I will add one thing to this - define static mount in your /etc/fstab pointing to your remote location and it will be available as a local directory after each boot. Note that following this route you can even write files to a cloud storage.

@wvreeven is right advising to keep the files as close to camera (actually INDI server) as possible, however if you connect RPi via 1Gb ethernet the latency should be marginal. Connecting via WiFi will introduce major delays during sessions. Feasible but hardly acceptable
4 years 2 months ago #48333

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.413 seconds