INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problem Canon 6D and QHY5

• Thank you received: 7
Hi,
Two years ago I tried to use the Rasberry with Ubuntu Mate. I got it to work but a bit slow. I hade the KStar installed and run from the Rasberry direct. I gace up.

Now I try to do this once again but with KStar on the client PC Windows10. And this time I use Astroberry which looks great.

My Raspberry is the old Pi B v1.2 with 1GB RAM, when I know this will work I buy the new new Pi 4 with 4GB RAM.

A lot of nice people has alrady helped me. Problem 1 and 2 almost solved, still problem 3 and 4 left.

Problem 1:
Connect to USB-focuser, just a bit confusing with USB1 and ACM0 etc, it works now.

Problem 2:
I have rebuilt my spur gear with a belt drive with custom gear ratio. EQMod can not be setup with custom gear ratio. I have got help how to rewrite the EQMod driver and compile it. Difficult for me but with enough time Ithink I can handle it.

Now the problem I don't have a solution to.

Problem 3:
Canon 6D, if it's powered ant installed to the USB port when I start Astroberry it works fine. But if the camera do a power down it impossible to connect to it agian. When I used Ubuntu Mate two years ago the problem was that it installed the camera to the desktop, I unmounted it and it worked. Maybe this is the same problem, but there is no Camera installed on Astroberry desktop.

What I did in Ubutntu Mate was to use the tool dconf and disabled the automount. The problem with Astroberry, I don't have that tool and the file structure is different so I can't find the file where this setup is stored.

It must be others who have had this problem, how did you solve it ?

Problem 4:
As a guide camera I plan to use my old QHY5, I have read in this forum that it's problem with that camera. Should I keep or buy a new ? And not buy a QHY, a ZWO instead because of problem with drivers or ?

When I plug in the USB cable to Astroberry/Rasberry I get some crash and have to restart Raspberry.

That's all !

I'm a Windows guy, not Linux and that's make it difficult, so much strange things !

Astroberry is very great I think, it has evolved a lot since last time I tried to get a working Rasbarry server.

/Lars
4 years 3 weeks ago #50267

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
Re Problem 3 - after connecting the camera to Astroberry, run 'mount' in your terminal. It will list all mounted drives and down on the bottom of the list your canon might be listed (if mounted automatically). If it is run 'umount /dev/sda1' and you should be fine.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 3 weeks ago #50284

Replied by Lars on topic Problem Canon 6D and QHY5

Hi Radek,
Thanks for fast answer.

From INDI control panel I got this after I power down the camera and then power it on again:

2020-03-01T10:42:58: [ERROR] Can not open camera: Power OK? If camera is auto-mounted as external disk storage, please unmount it and disable auto-mount.
2020-03-01T10:42:58: [ERROR] Camera_get_config failed (-2): Bad parameters
2020-03-01T10:42:56: [INFO] Canon DSLR EOS 6D is offline.
2020-03-01T10:42:22: [INFO] World Coordinate System is enabled.

To open the terminal I start VNC and connect to Raspberry, use the LX terminal, run the 'mount' command and got this:

astroberry@astroberry:~ $ mount
/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=443148k,nr_inodes=110787,mode=755)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
bpf on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=29,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
sunrpc on /run/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /run/user/1001 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=89548k,mode=700,uid=1001,gid=1001)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1001/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1001,group_id=1001)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)

I can't see that the Canon is mounted, or ?

After that I tried the command you gave me (two different and maybe umount shall be unmount ?):

astroberry@astroberry:~ $ umount path_to_canon_dev
umount: path_to_canon_dev: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ unmount path_to_canon_dev
bash: unmount: kommandot finns inte
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ umount/dev/sda1
bash: umount/dev/sda1: Filen eller katalogen finns inte
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ unmount/dev/sda1
bash: unmount/dev/sda1: Filen eller katalogen finns inte

I got the answer that the command doesn't exist.

By the way, when I setup Astroberry I have to set Swedish language because I live in Sweden. I want English but then I couldn't choose Swedish keyboard layout. In the older Ubuntu Mate I could have Swedish layout on the keyboard and English text in Ubuntu mate. Is there a fix to this problem ? It's a bit confusing when I send the log to others who doesn't understand Swedish.

Thanks for all help !

/Lars
4 years 3 weeks ago #50287

Sorry, I wrote wrong.

It says when run command umount that the file or directory didn't exist.

I also see that if I from the web server stop the process/conection and wait maybe 20 seconds and then start it again: After that I start it again in Ekos, then it connect to Canon as it should, maybe that is what I always have to do every time when I lost contact with Canon ?

/Lars
4 years 3 weeks ago #50288

Based on logs Canon was not mounted. For umount you're missing a space after umount command ;-)

Raspberry config app does not allow it :-( But you need to change it manually, by editing /etc/default/locale
Note the example from my system. All set to Polish but LANG set to English
cat /etc/default/locale 
#  File generated by update-locale
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="pl_PL.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="pl_PL.UTF-8"
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by Radek Kaczorek.
4 years 3 weeks ago #50290

Hi Radek,

Sorry to disturb again.

I looked in my file locale and it look a bit different:

# File generated by update-locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=sv_SE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=sv_SE.UTF-8

I have here edit the LANG= setting.

But got problem, denied acces when I want to save the new version. Maybe I need to admin, or ? And how to change that, looks to be different compare Ubunute Mate

Thanks a lot for the help.

/Lars
4 years 3 weeks ago #50309

I did some progress here.

First I found how to change to adminstrator:

sudo passwd root

First it will ask for your user password
Then it asks for new UNIX password
Then it asks to retype the new UNIX password

Then I log out (from shutdown menu)
Then I log in as root

Now I can edit and save the new configuration, but I had to change the language at both row 1 and 2, like this:

# File generated by update-locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=sv_SE.UTF-8

It looks to be correct now, I will test more that no new problems has occured.

Thanks a lot, without your help this had taken long time !

/Lars
4 years 3 weeks ago #50328

You could have made it easier... Instead of setting a password for user root and relogging, in modern linux systems you can run any command as privileged user (aka root) by running 'sudo command'. This means that you would have achieved the same result by running 'sudo nano /etc/default/locale' in your terminal or running 'sudo gedit' and opening /etc/default/locale file in privileged mode. Anyway, I'm glad you made it and it works for you!
4 years 3 weeks ago #50358

Hi Radek,
I try that next itime I have to edit a text file.

Focuser looks to work now as it should.

The Canon 6D is very important to always have power on. And if I power up Raspberry and the camera is off the Rasberry never boot up and connect to WIFI. Sometimes I have to reboot more than once, maybe because of other problem. But still it looks good, but if there is a way to not have the Canon camera when it's power off to not block Raspberry it had been good. I normally run the camera on battery, less risk to destroy something and the batteries last for more than 5 hours. But if I need to replace the battery I must also power down the camera and then I'm in trouble.

The problem with my gear ratio and EQMod will be a challenge to fix, but I have friends that know part of it how to do a special version of EQMod.

Now I have got even more information about my guide camera QHY5 (first version), maybe I shall try to get it to work. As it is now it stop the Raspberry when I connect it. I also tested the CCD simulater, but it doesn't looks to work, or can it be that I'm doing something wrong ?

/Lars
4 years 3 weeks ago #50380

Hi,
Back again, now with new equipment. I bought a Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB RAM.

Have installed the Astroberry and of course got some new problem.

I only have the Canon 6D camera connected.

Running the mount command and I don't find any Canon connected in the list either.

In the Indi control panel I try to scan the Ports. Get this error message:
2020-04-30T15:05:45: [WARNING] No candidate ports found on the system.

What does it mean, can it not find the USB ports at all, or what's wrong ?

/Lars

Ekos can't find the camera, when running the
3 years 10 months ago #53031

Hi,
I solved the problem. I had the Wifi enabled on the camera. When I disabled it KStars connect to the camera.

/Lars
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
3 years 10 months ago #53153

I'm waiting for a clear sky, but did some indoor focus test. It looks to be something wrong with Ekos Focuser. I have a Canon 6D DLR with a Canon 50 mm f/1.8 lens attached.

I can only move the focus of the lens from Ekos when the camera is in 'Live view'. The problem, if I activate 'Live view' from Ekos I can't get the autofocus to work correct. Manually I can adjust the focus from Eklos in 'Live view'.

But if I enable the 'Live view' diret on the Canon camera it wokrs, even the autofocus in Ekos.

In my tutorial I have expalined with screendumps what happens:
www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/pr...rs-raspberrypi4.html

See page: 'Indoor test of focus control'

Maybe someone who understand the code of Ekos can have a look ?

When I do this focusing the Ekos chrash sometimes.

Othervise It's fantastic !

/Lars
3 years 10 months ago #53256

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds