INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD

• Thank you received: 3
Hi !

I used this tutorial (in German) to transfer everything from SD to SSD for thee RPI4. And everything is working fine. I did this with a ready installed astroberry on SD-Card and transferred this to the SSD.

Why using the SSD ?
After I´ve lost a view SD-Cards because of Power-loss (exidently and stupidly ;-) ) I didn´t feel like it anymore. So I bought Kingston industrial SD, installed Astroberry and then I did the steps explained in the Video. Since the I´ve never had that issue again. And its faster...

CS
Reiner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek, Avocette
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Reiner vom Bruch.
3 years 11 months ago #51572

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 50
Hi AstroNerd,
Just wondered if you are actually using Astroberry (rather than Stellarmate or AstroPi3 images) in this case? I have tried the SD card copier, but when I examine the drives available after copying, there is no second partition on the SSD, although four zram drives complete the list.
Thanks, Ed
3 years 11 months ago #51960

I'm still struggling with the various SSD YouTube videos (my German is pretty weak) but not yet had the breakthrough I am hoping for!
Ed
3 years 11 months ago #51961

• Thank you received: 140

Hi,
I have actually done it with both SM and AB and both worked fine, although the first time I tried I had that same issue, but for some reason each time after it’s worked ok.... ??
3 years 11 months ago #51964

Right then - I’ll just have to be more persistent!
3 years 11 months ago #51965

Yippee - after three consecutive ‘SD Card Copy’ commands, all’s well that ends well. I’m not sure I can recall exactly the steps and which boxes I ticked in the process, but hopefully I won’t have to do it again too soon!
3 years 11 months ago #52004

• Thank you received: 0
Can you share what modification you did to the boot partition to make it boot from the SSD?
3 years 2 months ago #66458

This was at a time before it was easy to boot a Raspberry Pi 4 directly from SSD. Since July I have been running astroberry from an SSD exclusively. Just burn an image straight to your SSD instead of microSD and plug it in to your RPi4! Make sure your RPi4 firmware is fully up to date (sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade) before you do this.
3 years 2 months ago #66462

Thanks for the info. I just bought an Argon M.2 case and a 240 GB M.2 SSD. Trying to figure out how to get Astroberry directly on it from Windows. I'd need to get an adapter or install Raspian on the Pi 4 and then burn a copy directly to the M.2 SSD from within Raspian.
3 years 2 months ago #66486

• Thank you received: 140

Just download the Astroberry image file, and plug SSD into windows PC and use Balena Ethcer to burn to SSD....simples....
3 years 2 months ago #66488

Yes....it will be simples.....I just need an m.2 SSD to USB adapter. Thanks for the help.
3 years 2 months ago #66496

• Thank you received: 69
Ah... this is what I did... I already had a USB SSD with Astroberry installed:

In any case, you don't need an M.2 adapter, the bottom half of the argon one m.2. is the adapter, you just need a USB cable from the bottom half to your Windows machine.
3 years 2 months ago #66504

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.559 seconds