INDI Library v1.8.5 Released (19 Apr 2020)

April 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.5 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD

2 months 1 day ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51550
I usually run directly from an Astroberry image on a Verbatim Premium 32GB microSD on my RPi4, but thought it would be interesting from the speed point of view to run on a SanDisk Extreme SSD. I used BerryBoot on a small microSD card to boot to Raspbian Buster on the SSD, and then followed the instructions on Astroberry.io to install Astroberry the longhand way. Everything seemed to work and when I rebooted, the BerryBoot pointed to the SSD and Astroberry woke up looking as normal. However I clicked on KStars, watched the Splash Screen but when it closed no further KStars window opened. I could repeat this by clicking again on the KStars symbol on the Taskbar, always the same (non) result. Any suggestions about what may be going wrong? Thanks.

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Sky-Watcher ED80 Pro with 0.85x FR/Corrector with Canon DSLR on AZ-EQ5 GT mount
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 day ago 2 months 1 day ago by gilesco. Reason: typo
gilesco
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51551
I put Astroberry on a SSD card, but I did it by copying the Astroberry image via rsync from an existing SD card to a ext4 partition on the SSD.

I then modified /boot/cmdline.txt to mount the root filesystem of the SSD, not the SD card.

I don't think USB booting is supported as yet on the Pi4, so you still need to have the SD card with the boot partition inserted, despite running off the SSD.

The method was very similar to this: www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/boot-raspbe...-from-usb,39782.html

I'm not experiencing the issue you are, perhaps try launching kstars from a terminal and see if it outputs any error?

__
I blog my progress: www.coochey.net
The following user(s) said Thank You Avocette

2 months 1 day ago
AstroNerd
More
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51553
I run from an SSD drive, but I just used the built in SD card copier in The Raspbian accessories menu, to copy the full SD card to an external SSD, then modified the boot partition to then boot from the SSD drive....simples.... :)

Stellarmate OS BETA on Raspberry pi4b
Skywatcher EQ8 pro
Meade series 5000 80mm triplet Apo & Meade 8” SCT (de-forked)
Starlight Xpress SXVR H18, SXVR M25c, Lodestar Guide Camera
Pegasus Ultimate Hub for all USB & Power
Pegasus focus motors on both scopes
The following user(s) said Thank You Avocette

2 months 1 day ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51556
I tried running Kstars from the terminal and this was the result:

At the moment running from the SSD is a 'nice to have' - everything is working pretty well from the microSD card.

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian
Attachments:

2 months 21 hours ago 2 months 21 hours ago by RvB.
RvB
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51572
Hi !

I used this tutorial (in German) to transfer everything from SD to SSD for thee RPI4. And everything is working fine. I did this with a ready installed astroberry on SD-Card and transferred this to the SSD.

Why using the SSD ?
After I´ve lost a view SD-Cards because of Power-loss (exidently and stupidly ;-) ) I didn´t feel like it anymore. So I bought Kingston industrial SD, installed Astroberry and then I did the steps explained in the Video. Since the I´ve never had that issue again. And its faster...

CS
Reiner
The following user(s) said Thank You Kaczorek, Avocette

1 month 2 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51960

AstroNerd wrote: I run from an SSD drive, but I just used the built in SD card copier in The Raspbian accessories menu, to copy the full SD card to an external SSD, then modified the boot partition to then boot from the SSD drive....simples.... :)

Hi AstroNerd,
Just wondered if you are actually using Astroberry (rather than Stellarmate or AstroPi3 images) in this case? I have tried the SD card copier, but when I examine the drives available after copying, there is no second partition on the SSD, although four zram drives complete the list.
Thanks, Ed

1 month 2 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51961

RvB wrote: Hi !

I used this tutorial (in German) to transfer everything from SD to SSD for thee RPI4. And everything is working fine. I did this with a ready installed astroberry on SD-Card and transferred this to the SSD.

I'm still struggling with the various SSD YouTube videos (my German is pretty weak) but not yet had the breakthrough I am hoping for!
Ed

1 month 2 weeks ago
AstroNerd
More
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51964

Avocette wrote:

AstroNerd wrote: I run from an SSD drive, but I just used the built in SD card copier in The Raspbian accessories menu, to copy the full SD card to an external SSD, then modified the boot partition to then boot from the SSD drive....simples.... :)

Hi AstroNerd,
Just wondered if you are actually using Astroberry (rather than Stellarmate or AstroPi3 images) in this case? I have tried the SD card copier, but when I examine the drives available after copying, there is no second partition on the SSD, although four zram drives complete the list.
Thanks, Ed

Hi,
I have actually done it with both SM and AB and both worked fine, although the first time I tried I had that same issue, but for some reason each time after it’s worked ok.... ??

Stellarmate OS BETA on Raspberry pi4b
Skywatcher EQ8 pro
Meade series 5000 80mm triplet Apo & Meade 8” SCT (de-forked)
Starlight Xpress SXVR H18, SXVR M25c, Lodestar Guide Camera
Pegasus Ultimate Hub for all USB & Power
Pegasus focus motors on both scopes

1 month 2 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #51965
Right then - I’ll just have to be more persistent!

1 month 2 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
Topic Author
Using BerryBoot to run Astroberry from an SSD #52004

AstroNerd wrote: Hi,
I have actually done it with both SM and AB and both worked fine, although the first time I tried I had that same issue, but for some reason each time after it’s worked ok.... ??

Yippee - after three consecutive ‘SD Card Copy’ commands, all’s well that ends well. I’m not sure I can recall exactly the steps and which boxes I ticked in the process, but hopefully I won’t have to do it again too soon!

Moderators: Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.679 seconds