INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Default wifi option on boot up

• Thank you received: 2
Hi

Congrats on moving Astroberry to Raspbian for use on RPi4 ! It certainly fills a gap.....

I just wanted to ask whether you can set the default wifi connection to Astroberry hotspot on start up ?

It used this on initial boot up but after I connected to my home wifi for upgrade it now appears to default to that on boot up even if I shut it down with it connected to the hotspot

Thanks for any info

Ian
3 years 11 months ago #51635

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 50
I personally edit the WiFi connections (Right mouse button on the WiFi symbol in the taskbar) and remove my home WiFi reference from the list. It's a bit inconvenient to have to insert the password again next time I want internet access, for instance, but it seems pretty bullet proof.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian
3 years 11 months ago #51644

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by Bart on topic Default wifi option on boot up

If you look under 'edit connections' the gear symbol, you can set the priority of the hotspot higher than the wifi connection. (see screenshot)

I changed the name and SSID from Stellarmate to Observatory1.
My hotspot is at priority 10, home wifi at either 5 or 15, so above or below the hotspot. This way works fine for me.

Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian , Mohamed
3 years 11 months ago #51645
Attachments:

Thanks Avocette - yes that sounds good. I use both the hotspot and the home wifi so perhaps a bit drastic ! I was hoping there was some setting for the default network on boot up but at least your way sounds solid.
3 years 11 months ago #51678

Ah thanks Bart this is what I was looking for. When I looked at the priority settings on the edit connection Tab the hotspot was at -999 ! I have now adjusted this so it is above my home wifi and it boots up connected to the hotspot . QED
3 years 11 months ago #51679

• Thank you received: 8
I am using a high gain USB WiFi stick with Astroberry, additionally to the builtin WiFi. The builtin WiFi still works as an access point, whereas the external WiFi stick will try to connect to my home network. I sometimes had issues getting a good connection to my home WLAN network outside in the garden. The external USB stick was an improvement. Also, if the connection to my home network got stuck, I can still connect directly to Astroberry as a fallback.
I cannot remember the details, but setting it up was straight forward with the network manager.

CS
Guido
3 years 11 months ago #51862

Thanks for your response Guido. It is also difficult for me to connect to home wifi in the garden . I use a LAN connection with PLC terminals for remote control from the house so I do not need a WiFi dongle. I use the Astroberry hotspot for local setting up focus etc before doing the imaging run indoors with the LAN connection.
Cheers
Ian
3 years 11 months ago #51909

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.699 seconds