INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help - Unable to connect Zwo ASI 1600MM

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic Help - New to Astoberry

Shutdown to preserve your file-system integrity if powering off, disconnect if you are going to leave it turned on and connect to it later.
3 years 11 months ago #52615

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Yes, the camera rocks! I have the Pro version which has more internal memory than the original Cool version.

I think the best piece of advise I can give you for the camera is: try to always use the same gain, offset and sensor temperature. I use gain 75, offset 12 and temperature 10 degrees Celcius for all my images.

Second best piece of advise: always use exposure times that you choose from a pre-selected list of possibilities, like 30, 60, 90, 120, 300 and 600 seconds. That way you can create a dark library by taking, say, 60 dark images for each exposure time and create master darks for those. Those master darks you then can reuse for processing of all your images. Shoot a new library maybe once per year or two years depending on if you see new hot pixels pop up and you're set.

Third best piece of advise: if you remove the camera from the telescope after each imaging session then FIRST take flats. And in that case ALWAYS take flats. Dust specks move when you remove the camera and it WILL mess up your images at some point in time. If you keep the camera on the telescope then this is less important and you can reuse your (master) flats for a while.

Clear skies, Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #52616

• Thank you received: 69

Replied by Giles on topic Help - New to Astoberry

I have been doing:

Unity Gain : 139
Exposure: 180s
Offset: ???s
Temp: -5 C

But now that wouter has revealed his settings to us, I might try his :-)

It all depends on your particular astronomical conditions.
3 years 11 months ago #52618

Yes it does but I try to handle that by only varying the exposure time :)
3 years 11 months ago #52635

• Thank you received: 1

Thanks

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52638

Thank you very much for this information it will be most helpful.

I see you use a temp of 10 degrees Celsius, is there any particular reason for this as a lot of people appear to use from what I've read - 10 to -20 degrees celcius or does it depend on your ambient temperature.

Once ive sorted my equipment out I'll make a dark library as you suggest.

Thanks again

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52639

Sorry, typo. I use -10 degrees!!!
3 years 11 months ago #52642

• Thank you received: 375

This is correct. You can assign priority to each network connection so it is activated only is higher priority networks are not available. Default order for Astroberry is: wire, wireless, hotspot.
By the way IP 10.42.0.x addresses are used by hotspot only. If you are connected via wire or wireless to other networks you Astroberry gets IP address from these networks. That's why it is not available under 10.42.0.1 while connected to other networks. So if you use in your home network e.g. 192.168.1.x addresses, Astroberry will be assigned one of these. You can check the actual IP address either on home router OR by ping astroberry.local OR using a mobile app which can find raspberry in your home network.
3 years 11 months ago #52664

Hi,

Thanks for the above.

Just a couple of things you may be able to help me with:-

When I go into the internet connections on Astroberry the priority settings are Wireless 100, Wired 999 and hotspot -999 does this mean that Wireless has priority followed by wired then the hotspot.

I am using a BT Smarthub 2 and have got my ethernet cable plugged into the back of one of the BT wi-fi discs. Is there a way to check what internet Wired or wireless my RPI is using as my BT app on my phone is showing it is a ethernet connection and the Network is showing Wireless.

When I open an internet page and point it to the IP address shown on my phone app for Astroberry - 192.169.x.xx it takes me to the log on page for Astroberry but I can also enter 10.42.0.1 and this also takes me to the log in page. I thought 10.42.0.x was only for the hotspot.

This is very confusing for a newbie but I'll get there in the end.

Thanks
3 years 11 months ago #52682

Please forget the above except the priority as I've now worked out the connection problem, just me being an idiot, I was clicking on Astroberry in my networks which is for the hotspot instead of just entering the IP address for the RPI.

Doug
3 years 11 months ago #52683

• Thank you received: 375

To be precise the order is:
999 - wired
100 - wireless
-999 - hotspot

So first wire is checked, if wire is available others are ignored,
if wire is not available, wireless is checked, if wireless is available others are ignored,
if wire and wireless are not available, hotspot is activated.

You can play with priorities if this behavior does not fit your needs. You can even have all the three active in the same time i.e. hotspot available for direct connection and INternet connection via wire or wireless.

Sky is the limit ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Douglas Mason
3 years 11 months ago #52698

Replied by Douglas Mason on topic Wireless Internet

Hi,

As per my previous post I'm new to all this but I am starting to progress.

When I switch on my RPI I can now see the hotspot in my network list and can connect to Astroberry using 10.42.0.1. I can also connect to it via ethernet cable putting in the IP address allocated to the RPI by my router, but I am unable to connect to it using my wireless network. No matter what I have tried I am unable to make a connection. I want to try and get the wireless internet side up and running in case I want to use this whilst operating my equipment rather than running the Ethernet cable.

I am currently using the micro SD card exactly as it was when I copied Astroberry onto it.

I have read whilst doing research that I may need to add a file called 'ssh' to the micro SD card in order to get wireless internet, is this correct when using Astroberry?.

At one point whilst trying to resolve the issues I even typed some information onto the terminal and this gave me a list of available networks and my wireless network was on the list so my RPI can obviously see it I just cant connect to it.

When I get into Astroberry I go to Preferences - Advanced Network Configuration and add my networks SSID and Password where it says 'changename' and then I save it.

I also change the Raspberry PI configuration settings - localisation for GB etc and set the wireless connection to GB.

Having done all this I shutdown Astroberry and subsequently start it up again with no Ethernet cable, the RPI does not pick up my wireless internet and I am unable to connect.

It would appear that my wireless internet in the room where I am is 5ghz as my laptop and phone are connected to my network via 5ghz.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong, what settings I may need to alter or what I can do to try and get the wirless internet working.

Once final question what is the best, most stable way to connect Astroberry to my laptop so it can control my equipment when imaging. Is it Ethernet cable from the RPI at my scope to the BT wireless Discs in my house which has an ethernet connection on them. From the RPI to my laptop via Ethernet cable and then controlled somehow or over the wireless connection if I get it up and running.

Thanks

Doug
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Radek Kaczorek. Reason: Moved to existing post. Housekeeping ;-)
3 years 11 months ago #52762

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.865 seconds