INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RPi4 now has booting from SSD (beta)

• Thank you received: 50
It seems that the RPi foundation has issued a beta version of the USB bootloader (which does not require a microSD card in addition). I presume I could install Astroberry onto my USB SSD after setting the SSD up as the (only) boot device. But is there a way of using the Astroberry 2.0.1 image file directly?
3 years 10 months ago #54317

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
Saw that yesterday as well. Have not tried it yet. It involves flashing the firmware on the Pi4, I believe. Will try out soon and report back.

www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardwa...errypi/booteeprom.md
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
3 years 10 months ago #54327

Progress !
So I now have Astroberry 2.0.1 running on my RPi4 directly from a Sandisk Extreme SSD. I followed a couple of videos on Youtube (
and
). Once I had Raspbian Buster running from the SSD with no microSD card, then using Balena Etcher, I burned the Astroberry 2.0.1 image to my SSD. I copied into the boot partition the 14 .elf and .dat files which are on the GitHub repository (as described in the second YouTube video, and as I had already found successful with the plain Raspbian) . So Astroberry now boots at lightening speed from the SSD. Only one small problem yet to solve - I need to expand the file system to occupy the whole of the SSD. At present I have access only to around 8GB of the much larger SSD. I tried using raspi-config Menu item 7 Advanced Options Menu item A1 Expand Filesystem but get the message "sda2 is not an SD card. Don't know how to expand".
I guess I need to seek some help from the experts on the RPi forum!
3 years 10 months ago #54435

• Thank you received: 140

This may help...there are instructions in here about expanding the drive space...

www.stewright.me/2019/10/run-raspbian-fr...on-a-raspberry-pi-4/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette
3 years 10 months ago #54437

Perfect! Many thanks
3 years 10 months ago #54441

• Thank you received: 12
This new beta applies all the same to a USB3 thumb drive, yeah?
3 years 10 months ago #54658

Yes - you can boot directly from ‘any’ USB storage device. My Astroberry implementation now resides on a Sandisk Extreme SSD which is super fast. I have also tried out a 1TB 2.5” hard drive in an IcyBox USB3 carrier. It works pretty well although RPi agnostics tests gives an overall FAIL due to random read /write speed being a little below the test threshold score.
3 years 10 months ago #54662

• Thank you received: 17
I have a 128G Sandisk Extreme USB 3.1 flashdrive, will it expand to all that memory or is there a limit?

thanks,
Ron
3 years 10 months ago #54685

• Thank you received: 117
yes...you can resize to capture the full disk.
3 years 10 months ago #54698

• Thank you received: 17
Ok, great to know. Now the next question; is that really a smart thing to do!? I bought the extreme for the purpose of downloading images from the camera to it rather than the SD card. I have it plugged into a Ankor USB 3.0 powered hub along with most of the equipment and I have had no issues with that arrangement. Other than I have to run a symlink command to link that drive to a 'nice' name in the system. I tried adding a command to the 'fstab' file (and the rules file), but the system hung; I think because it tried booting before that drive was recognized (mounted). Anyway that is not a big deal. I guess I am worried about mixing operating system and data on the same 'big' drive (not that we don't do that all the time, but if it goes for some reason you loose both!) There is a second USB 3.0 port on the Rpi 4, would it make more sense to use that with a smaller flash drive for the Astroberry Server System and keep the large one just for data (it makes it easy to transfer images to my PC where I process the data)?

And now the real question is if I do have a flash drive as the boot device can I also use some of that memory for a 'swap' file?
thanks,
Ron
3 years 10 months ago #54704

• Thank you received: 375
My experience is that SD card is less reliable that SSD drive, when used as a main system drive. So I believe running from SSD is not only faster but also more reliable.
This also applies to swap partition. You can set a dedicated partition and use it as swap. You would need to add it to /etc/fstab so system uses it at boot time.
3 years 7 months ago #57964

• Thank you received: 0
The amount of memory is not that important if you're not going to save large fails at it, speed is more important. If you will need to save files at some points, you could just use an external HDD, and it will be okay. Just try to not mess up anything, and there should not be any problems. Even if something happens, don't panic because the files can be recovered. You can always contact DATA RECOVERY SERVICES , they know how to recover all the lost or deletes files from your computer.
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by inmatez.
1 year 11 months ago #82397

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.763 seconds