INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

GPS issue - time resetting

• Thank you received: 1
Hi, I have an interesting issue when using a GPS dongle with INDI/KStars on Astroberry/RPI3.

It connects find and gets a fix when you look in Indi Control Panel when things are started and gets the correct location and datetime.

However after the initial fix it never refreshes the date/time every 60s and the data in the "UTC Time" box never changes from "2020-07-04T20:04:26.000Z" in this example.

As a result the date/time on KStars counts up from 21:04:26 (I have +1h UTC offset which is correct) but then after 60 seconds (when I assume it is refreshing the time from the dongle) it goes back to 20:04:26 (screen shot below shows the date/time i'm referring to.

As a result everything is off when trying to use EKos. It is worth noting if I manually set date time in the system console and location in KStars everything works fine.

Version info below:

What a I doing wrong? Note Virtual GPS is disabled, and the same happens on a clean astroberry (version2.0.0) image, which I downloaded previously on 12/Jan/2020.
3 years 8 months ago #56432
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic GPS issue - time resetting

It is a bug. I have attempted to raise the issue before but it did not get resolved at the time because the forum posts got merged and mixed up.
www.indilib.org/forum/general/6095-major-gpsd-glitch.html

I noted it will synchronize to GPS time once, but each refresh will set the clock back to that first sync rather than update it.
You can set refresh to 0. Thus never updating the time after the first sync. Or, My workaround is to set up the system clock to sync to GPS time and use System as the time source in the INDI GPSD driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James
3 years 8 months ago #56458

Replied by James on topic GPS issue - time resetting

Sound like exactly the same issue. Though for me setting refresh to 0 still makes the clock jump around/stutter.

I've gone down the route of using a python script to set the system clock to the GPS time using GPSD which works fine. I am ok just running this script when i first log on and my astro-sessions are never more than a few hours so I shouldn't need to re-sync.

Hopefully this bug can be fixed soon.
3 years 8 months ago #56478

• Thank you received: 2
Just a quick note on this. I managed to raise this with Radek on the SGL forum and he has just pushed through a fix which appears to be working so you just need to sudo apt upadte and sudo apt upgrade and it should ok. I have tested the fix using 1 second updates for the GPS and all seems well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James
3 years 7 months ago #58127

Replied by James on topic GPS issue - time resetting

Hi there, apologies for a delayed reply. Just to say I have tested the latest version and it seems to now work ok. Also I note the clock on the main KStars window on the top right is now much more stable when ticking. I will report back if I note any further issues.
3 years 6 months ago #59701

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.244 seconds