INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4

• Thank you received: 5
In the end, I decided to compile from source code. Once I got the dependencies sorted it all compiled well, it took a little time. Now I have the latest bleeding-edge 3.5 release !!
So problem solved.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by David Thompson.
3 years 7 months ago #57466

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

I pretty much do "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade" daily on my Raspberry Pi (with Astroberry) hoping to update KStars to the latest version. Like you, no luck. I really want to see/try the new features.

Could you explain me the steps to update it the way you did? I don't know anything about Linux, so don't take anything for granted, please! A step by step guide, with all the commands needed, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
3 years 7 months ago #57467

• Thank you received: 50
And I, please!!
3 years 7 months ago #57469

Well here goes these are the steps that worked for me. Hope this helps but I have to say that you follow them at your own risk.
I am certainly no Linux expert and I am using a RPi4 running the latest version of RPi OS.
All the commands following are typed in a terminal window after the $ prompt. I have shown them in large font

Since RPi OS is a version of Debian I followed the steps on the link below for Debian.
If you copy and paste this into your browser it will give more info.
techbase.kde.org/Projects/Edu/KStars/Bui...ing_various_versions

The first thing is to make sure you have all the prerequisites and dependencies.
So open Terminal and type the following command, probably easiest to copy and paste it using the right mouse button. This is all one line it is just wrapping in the viewer.

sudo apt-get -y install build-essential cmake git libeigen3-dev libcfitsio-dev zlib1g-dev libindi-dev extra-cmake-modules libkf5plotting-dev libqt5svg5-dev libkf5xmlgui-dev kio-dev kinit-dev libkf5newstuff-dev kdoctools-dev libkf5notifications-dev qtdeclarative5-dev libkf5crash-dev gettext libnova-dev libgsl-dev libraw-dev libkf5notifyconfig-dev wcslib-dev libqt5websockets5-dev xplanet xplanet-images qt5keychain-dev libsecret-1-dev breeze-icon-theme

You will be asked for your password which in my case was the default

It might ask you to confirm some things as it runs just type Y if prompted.

When it's done you will be returned to the Terminal prompt $

Create and change into a KDE development directory:
mkdir ~/kde && cd ~/kde

Fetch the KStars source code: this site converts links to green characters so make sure that you copy and paste the following line:
git clone anongit.kde.org/kstars

Create and change into a build directory for compilation:
mkdir build && cd build

The next steps will take some time so get a coffee

Run the configure process with cmake:
cmake ../kstars -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

Compile KStars:
make

Install KStars:

sudo make install

Thats it.

To get updates in future its very easy
cd ~/kde/kstars
Git pull —rebase

Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avocette, Joaquin, jiberjaber
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by David Thompson.
3 years 7 months ago #57471

• Thank you received: 109

Congrats on compiling, and glad it works for you. It seems that if compiling it yourself did not show the same problems as you had before, then there are problems with the packages made available in the repo that need to be addressed.
3 years 7 months ago #57472

The only issue is that the astroberry repo has not been updated with the latest kstars release which only came out last week. Some of us are eager to try the new features hence taking the step to compile from source.
3 years 7 months ago #57473

• Thank you received: 109
@wornish, yes I see it was others having problems with ports and devices after the apt upgrade, not yourself. If the kstars packages had not been updated yet, it would be the OS changes, not the kstars package, that introduced differences. A bit of leapfrog going on between the OS and kstars. Your recompile seems to make everything work well together again, so hopefully when the new packages are released, they will also work well with the latest OS updates.
3 years 7 months ago #57475

• Thank you received: 4
Thank you for the detailed explanation, wornish!

I'll give it a few more days and if, by the time I am ready for my next clear night session Astroberry didn't update regularly, I'll try your method.
3 years 7 months ago #57479

• Thank you received: 559
David (@wornish):

I didn't check your dependencies etc carefully, but a few comments on your compile instructions:

1- The KStars README.md file invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/blob/master/README.md also gives compile instructions.

2- For the kstars cmake command, you should probably add -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo, i.e.
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo ../kstars
That gets the compile to run 'optimized' which for several operations makes the executable run much faster (though it probably slows
down the compile). I believe it defaults to Debug/not-optimized.

3- When you run your make, you should add -j6 or -j8. The '6' version means "if possible run up to 6 compiles in parallel" which is usually
fine on an RPi4 with 4Gb of memory. You'd run -j8 on a faster machine with more memory. You can experiment with the number.
(On an old Rpi3, I'd stick with the way you have it, equivalent to -j1). So the commands would be
make -j6 kstars
sudo make install
You'll still need to "get a cup of coffee" but a compile from scratch will take ~40 minutes instead of 2-3X that.

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: jiberjaber
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Hy Murveit.
3 years 7 months ago #57490

The USB problems are still present in the very latest OS upgrade I carried out today, and upgrading to KStars 3.5.0 has no significant effect on this. So whereas the fallback of a clean installation of the Astroberry 2.0.2 image ported to an SSD works well, and lists 14 USB devices under lsusb, the latest RPi OS with KStars 3.5.0 doesn't list any of the USB2.0 devices connected to the USB3.0 powered hub, nor via the USB2.0 hub built into the ASI533MC camera.
3 years 7 months ago #57501

I just tried mine again running KStars 3.5 all my USB connections are working fine. EKOS connects to all my gear with no errors.

It is very strange that all is well with the earlier version of Kstars. I did a completely fresh install of RPi OS and then the latest Astroberry before doing the compile for Kstars. Its a pain having to redo all the settings but it was worth it.
I would have thought if it was an Astroberry or a Kstars issue this forum would be full of people raising concerns.
3 years 7 months ago #57502

I fully agree - I keep searching on other forums for any signs of people suffering similar issues! I wouldn’t mind so much if things had not worked very reliably until the recent OS/kernel upgrade. Still I had a good night last night targeting IC5070 without hiccup!
3 years 7 months ago #57504

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds