INDI Library v1.8.6 Released (21 Aug 2020)

August 2020 release of INDI Library v1.8.6 introduces new drivers while providing fixes and improvements to existing devices and core framework.

How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4

1 month 3 weeks ago
wornish
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Topic Author
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57502

Avocette wrote:

xsnrg wrote: @wornish, yes I see it was others having problems with ports and devices after the apt upgrade, not yourself. If the kstars packages had not been updated yet, it would be the OS changes, not the kstars package, that introduced differences. A bit of leapfrog going on between the OS and kstars. Your recompile seems to make everything work well together again, so hopefully when the new packages are released, they will also work well with the latest OS updates.

The USB problems are still present in the very latest OS upgrade I carried out today, and upgrading to KStars 3.5.0 has no significant effect on this. So whereas the fallback of a clean installation of the Astroberry 2.0.2 image ported to an SSD works well, and lists 14 USB devices under lsusb, the latest RPi OS with KStars 3.5.0 doesn't list any of the USB2.0 devices connected to the USB3.0 powered hub, nor via the USB2.0 hub built into the ASI533MC camera.

I just tried mine again running KStars 3.5 all my USB connections are working fine. EKOS connects to all my gear with no errors.

It is very strange that all is well with the earlier version of Kstars. I did a completely fresh install of RPi OS and then the latest Astroberry before doing the compile for Kstars. Its a pain having to redo all the settings but it was worth it.
I would have thought if it was an Astroberry or a Kstars issue this forum would be full of people raising concerns.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57504
I fully agree - I keep searching on other forums for any signs of people suffering similar issues! I wouldn’t mind so much if things had not worked very reliably until the recent OS/kernel upgrade. Still I had a good night last night targeting IC5070 without hiccup!

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Sky-Watcher ED80 Pro with 0.85x FR/Corrector with Canon DSLR on AZ-EQ5 GT mount
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian

1 month 3 weeks ago
AradoSKYindi
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57511
Hello,

What I keep reading is a USB device stops working. A USB connected to what and how many what types needs definition. USB 2.0 specifies 5v at 1.2 Amps. With 3.0, 5V at 2 Amps is the specification. That is one port to one device. Now, string a chain of them out.

USB hubs look to be a problem. Not all hubs manage power as claimed. I went from 7 port hubs to 4 because the last few items in the chain didn’t have enough power to initialize. Marginal power can cause anyone in the chain to loose power if the neighbor needs more to boot or operate.

AstroBerry and INDI are not responsible for all hubs. LSUSB is a friend. Udevadm is the other friend. But neither can help a power issue.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57517
I sympathise with your general points here, and there are always potential issues with power distribution. But it seemed such a black/white switch from the old OS and software/hardware to the new OS with same software and hardware but USB problems. There are some threads elsewhere on Indilib forum starting to talk of similar problems arising subsequent to last week’s linux kernel upgrade - and it may well be quite deep in the system. I’m not a linux expert, I want to do astronomy not programming, and happily I’m back to running the Astroberry 2.0.2 from May 2020 with all the USB elements operating properly.

Currently running KStars/Ekos/Indi on a Raspberry Pi 4B 2GByte under Raspbian thanks to Astroberry
Other Sky-Watcher scopes - SkyMax 150 Pro Maksutov Cassegrain and Explorer 150p Newtonian

1 month 3 weeks ago
gilesco
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57529
Has anyone actually heard from Radek in the last month?

I've not seen any activity from him since the end of June, I suppose he might be away on holiday or something?

__
I blog my progress: www.coochey.net

1 month 3 weeks ago
TomAstro
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57530
He just finished his holidays. He will be planning upgrades end of July / beginning of August. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You gilesco

1 month 3 weeks ago
AradoSKYindi
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57540
Hello,

I just updated using

Use: sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

I then connected everything up and opened KSTARS with EKOS. I started my profile and everything works. I used the USB 2.0 ports. My two RSHTECH 3.0 hubs worked well. Cameras worked. Now, the next clear night is next week.

1 month 3 weeks ago
wornish
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
Topic Author
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57544

AradoSKYindi wrote: Hello,

I just updated using

Use: sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

I then connected everything up and opened KSTARS with EKOS. I started my profile and everything works. I used the USB 2.0 ports. My two RSHTECH 3.0 hubs worked well. Cameras worked. Now, the next clear night is next week.

What version of Kstars have you got after the apt-get upgrade ?

This whole thread is about the latest version not being n the astroberry repository.

1 month 3 weeks ago
Avocette
Expert Boarder
Expert Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57580
@wornish So as of a couple of hours ago, and thanks to your encouragement, I appear to have a working set up with KStars 3.5.0 (as reported from the Help setting) running on a fully updated Raspberry Pi OS booting from a Sandisk Extreme SSD. I have found a workaround for the USB ‘problem’ thanks mostly to trial and error after suggestions from @kross. The precise mechanism which sometimes means that lsusb doesn’t list Bus 001 devices, is as yet unexplained, but I am back to a situation where everything appears to be functioning again - the only changes being that a couple of the USB cables are plugged into different ports on the 7-port tp-link powered USB3.0 hub. So now I can struggle to get to grips with the new KStars features!

The following user(s) said Thank You wornish

1 month 3 weeks ago 1 month 3 weeks ago by AradoSKYindi.
AradoSKYindi
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57585
Hello,

Before the update, I was at 3.4.3. After the update, I was testing hardware. I was not concerned about version. I was happy to see rules working. I will verify the version and report back. Right now, it is packed up until the next clear day.

1 month 3 weeks ago
jiberjaber
Junior Boarder
Junior Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57670
Thanks Wornish and Hy - followed both your details and I am now at 3.5.0

I note I had to use a different URL in the initial git pull - I just clicked on the URL and then copy and pasted what it actually resolved to.

Thanks!

1 month 3 weeks ago 1 month 3 weeks ago by TomAstro.
TomAstro
Gold Boarder
Gold Boarder
More
How Update Kstars on Astroberry RPi4 #57672
3.5.0?????????????????????????????? ahh..okay. It is indinightly.

Moderators: Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.738 seconds