INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Booting from SSD sata adapter problem solved

• Thank you received: 41
Hi,

I have just got my Rpi4 booting Astroberry from SSD. As I run headless and the pi is in an enclosure so not easily accessible it was a little difficult to troubleshoot. I recently had to get a larger SSD for my desktop pc so I had a spare 120GB SSD "lying around" so thought that I would see if I could speed up my RPi.
However I followed all the instructions about changing the EEPROM etc but still the Pi would not boot up and would not appear on my network to VNC into..
After a while I found references to issues with some of the sata to usb adapters.
Of course the one that I had bought that came with a nice little enclosure (JMicron) was one that was reputed not to work :(.

Anyway here is a link to a video.
(The same submitter of the video also has videos on the setting up of the SSD for the RPi so I would recommned looking at those too.)
The sata adapter that I have is pretty common (bought from Jaycar in Australia - www.jaycar.com.au/usb-3-0-to-2-5-inch-sa...r-with-case/p/XC4152 ) so if you find yourself in my position try this work around.

Once you have done the eeprom update and changed the eeprom status to "stable" and flashed the image of your SD card to the SSD (you can use SD copier or pull the SD out and use Win32 Diskimager). Once the SSD is flashed, go into the boot directory of the SSD
and alter the cmdline.txt file and put the following text right at the start of the line of text (there is only 1 line).
usb-storage.quirks=152d:0578:u
Leave a space after the "u" at the end then save the file. Shutdown and pull out the SD card and reboot using just the SSD (mine is plugged into a powered USB hub). It really flies and is easier than sending the adapter back.

Hope this makes things a little easier when making this change.

Mike
3 years 7 months ago #59202

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds