INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

USB3 / WIFI

• Thank you received: 9

Replied by James Amendolagine on topic USB3 / WIFI

hdmi_ignore_hotplug=1 turns it off. Unfortunately since the astroberry VNC setup is sharing the X11/HDMI desktop, VNC stops working after you do this and just gives a black screen with the message: "can not currently show desktop". On my other setup I ran a VNC separate from the X11 desktop and was able to shut off HDMI output. That's why that setup worked with WIFI and USB3.

OH, and I was mistaken about the distro that I used for my previous setup. It was actually raspbian, not mate.

Jamie
3 years 6 months ago #59463

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420

Replied by Wouter van Reeven on topic USB3 / WIFI

You need to specify the screen resolution in the same file where you disable HDMI. See this post for recommended settings:

indilib.org/forum/general/6922-kstars-on...untu-mate-20-04.html
3 years 6 months ago #59464

So I was going to switch from realvnc to tightvnc so that it is not tied to HDMI, and I found that is inside of the package astroberry-server-full I'm not sure how to disable realvnc, or to configure it to not be tied to hdmi. Any ideas?
3 years 6 months ago #59482

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by James Brauer on topic USB3 / WIFI

I connected an Alfa AWUS051NH long range wifi USB adapter and got it running a lot better. I set the 'device' in the advanced network config to the new wan1: that shows up for both my wireless connection, and the astroberry server hotspot. Full disclosure: I'm still getting this setup, so I don't have that many hours running like this. But I ran all day learning hot to park, track, and goto with my new HEQ5, and used it last night without connection issues.

With USB3 devices my PI4 would sort of sometimes work, and sometimes I couldn't connect wifi, but could connect to the hotspot. With a ZWO ASI 224, ZWO 120 on USB3 and my focuser and Sharpcap on USB2, all on a USB3 powered hub, it quit connecting to either type of network sometimes. But if I pulled the USB hub, it worked fine. I think there are a multitude of contributors to radiated electrical noise getting fed into the wifi antenna, so I expect it would work for some folks. Anyway, that Alfa USB is a really good radio, and fixed it for me.
3 years 6 months ago #59483

Success!

I'm trying to avoid using a dongle if possible. I was able to get it to work for the first time today. Nothing all that special really, I just had to run the right commands to get the vncserver to start, and the right commands for the client as well. I'm going to make this better, but for now I just run on the astroberry:

1. ssh to the astroberry
2. vncserver 192.168.247.108:3

and on the desktop:

xtigervncviewer -via astroberry@192.168.247.108 :3

It connects and seems to work. From here I'm going to improve the process and make it start from boot. This is all without any HDMI output so I can turn that off and end the interference with wifi 2.4G / USB3 -- I couldn't get 5G to work, so maybe it's not supported on the RPI4? BTW: I didn't have to uninstall or disable the realvnc server, just ran tightvnc on it's own, and my router is setup to always issue that ip address to the astroberry --

Jamie
3 years 6 months ago #59511

OK, so this is all that I had to do to get this to work (other than installing tightvnc)

sudo -u astroberry vncserver -localhost no :1

I can use my regular vnc software on my desktop to connect, but now to :1

USB3 camera is working great!
3 years 6 months ago #59517

Another thing that I'm considering is just doing this from my linux desktop:
ssh -l astroberry -X 192.168.247.108

Then I can run kstars / phd2 etc and they will use X11 remoting. I should be able to use my giant monitor fully this way without being restricted to 1920.

Either way I've now got a very good system working and I think that I may switch to astroberry from my own home-brew linux system !
3 years 6 months ago #59518

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic USB3 / WIFI

I use a 28” 4k monitor and have given up using Kstars over VNC from the rpi4, because it just can’t cope with 4k at all, everything is really laggy, so if you find a way of doing this I would be very keen to know, I have tries all the versions of VNC and Remote Desktop and none of them will cope with 4k, the best they will cope with without hardly any lag is 2560 x 1600 resolution... :)
3 years 6 months ago #59541

There absolutely is a way. Just ssh over to it using the X option and run kstars with it opening a window on your desktop. Like this

ssh -l astroberry -X 192.168.247.108

kstars &

This requires that you are running Linux on your desktop though (or something with X11). It also means that you need to keep your desktop running and connected to the pi.
3 years 6 months ago #59542

• Thank you received: 140

Replied by AstroNerd on topic USB3 / WIFI

No you misunderstand me...
I know it can be done and how to do it, my point is that running 4k over VNC is awful and really laggy, that’s what I want to avoid, normal HD is fine, but 4k resolution is a no go....over VNC..
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by AstroNerd.
3 years 6 months ago #59557

I do get your point. Remote X11 is not VNC. It's quite different. It does it's drawing using your desktop hardware. It's not just copying the screen data from the pi to your desktop. I haven't tried kstars much doing it this way, but I expect it to perform way better than VNC. I'd expect it to handle 4k resolution well. I'll try it again tonight. The part that I'm concerned with is the connection. If I loose my wifi for a long period, the X11 remote app will be useless. The VNC app on the other hand will be just fine.
3 years 6 months ago #59558

I just tried it. The planetarium part of kstars is slow as lots of the pixels are being pushed across the wire, but the UI is actually nice and fairly snappy. Not quite as good as native on the desktop, but much better than VNC even at 1920. The windows come up natively on the desktop and can be resized large and still it's very snappy. I've got a great big monitor too, 4K os something like that. So give it a try! I think that I'll stick with VNC since it can handle a loss of network connectivity with no issues. The 1920 display is a bit annoying, but not that bad.

Jamie
3 years 6 months ago #59559

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.097 seconds