INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Wifi Issues

• Thank you received: 1

Wifi Issues was created by Todd Boland

On an ideal night, I mount my rpi4 to my HEQ5 and operate it remotely from about 50ft away over wifi. I don't think this distance is unreasonable for an external wifi dongle with antenna (I'm using a Panda PAUO6 ). It seems that when the mount moves or when I just barely touch it, it loses the connection. To make it even more frustrating is that I have had nights where I don't haveto think about wifi. It worked flawlessly. For what it's worth, I live in a remote area so there is little interference outside of the mount itself.

Here is what I have tried:
  1. Buying a new mesh point and placing it as close as possible to my setup
  2. Used a different rpi4
  3. Used different (admittedly crappier) wifi dongle
  4. Using a USB extension cable
  5. Used a powered USB hub
  6. Use a dedicated power source for the rpi4 and hub (I usually use a DC hub)

I am thinking about buying a "long range" dongle to see if that works. I'm also going to try using a longer USB extension and putting the dongle far away from the mount. I am curious if others have had similar experiences and if so, what solved them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joaquin
3 years 6 months ago #59873

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by Mohamed on topic Wifi Issues

I have similar configuration as you are. I faced the same issues, especially with 2.4 GHz wifi. The RPi has limited power and the use of wifi for heavy files will not be as satisfactory as you expect with other PCs or other devices. I use an ethernet cable connected to a wifi router, and my PC is away and connected by wifi to the same router over the 5GHz network. I leave the RPi wifi for the home internet connection for updates and plate solving if I need to use the internet one.
3 years 6 months ago #59875

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by David Allmon on topic Wifi Issues

Hi,

I haven't tried 2.4GHz because of the interference pointed out by others, so I use the 5GHz WiFi built in the Pi4. It is around 50' with the Pi strapped to the fork arm of the telescope, and I've not had a dropped connection. There are at least 20 networks visible in this suburban location. The Pi case is plastic on the bottom, which may help. You might try 5GHz to test it, unless you have to run 2.4GHz.

Dave
3 years 6 months ago #59892

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by Joaquin on topic Wifi Issues

Hi Mohamed,
I am just trying to get it clear because I plan to extent the coverage of my raspi wifi and I am very lost when it comes to network settings:

- Your router is connected to the Raspi via ethernet cable. Is that right ?
- Is the raspi in hotspot mode?. Or maybe when communicating via ethernet cable->router, this concept does not exist ?
- I understand your raspi is communicating through two different windows: its own network and the home wifi network, So you have access to internet while also communicating through its private network, at the same time. Is this correct ?

thanks
3 years 6 months ago #59899

• Thank you received: 25

Replied by Mohamed on topic Re:Wifi Issues

Hi Jabian

The whole idea is to separate the bandwidth required for image transfer and other intensive functions e.g. connection over VNC from regular internet usage.

I have to networks for the RPi; one for Ethernet CABLE and I assign a static IP for it. This LAN network is for my use only and is not connected to the internet. The router I used is a good netgear with 5GHz wifi. I connect from my desktop to this 5GHz WiFi and start using VNC & transfer images.

The built in RPi WiFi is not ised except if I need to perform upgrades or using the internet based plate solver. When I’m in the field, I don’t have internet over the built in WiFi, but my infrastructure (the private LAN) is working like a charm.

BTW, I needed to used the internet on the field once, so I connected the built in RPi WiFi to my iPhone hotspot, and it worked.

The basic concept is I don’t depend on the built in WiFi as it is not as reliable as the Ethernet cable.

I hope I answered your questions...

Thank you
Mohamed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joaquin
3 years 6 months ago #59902

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Spartacus on topic Wifi Issues

Hi astrodd,

I have a similar situation. My observing location is right down the bottom of the garden in a fenced off pool area with metal fencing all around. I have a pretty powerful router in the house but have found the best connection has been using a Netgear EXT6200 extender. This is dual band. It has the advantage of being able to be powered by a 12 v dc supply rather than needing a power plug like many extenders on the market.
I connect to the Netgear using the 5GHz band from the Pi (Static IP). Then the Netgear connects to the house network via 2.4GHz. I have used ethernet from the Pi to the Netgear but I have not found this to be better. Less cables the better. I then connect to the Pi headless via Real VNC (I use Astroberry).
I use this extender in the field too (peer to peer) as it gives enough range to image from a club house or car using a laptop if very cold.

Hope this helps.

Mke
3 years 6 months ago #59916

Replied by Todd Boland on topic Wifi Issues

Thanks all.

I ordered a different usb adapter to try (dual band). If this fails, I'll give the netgear extender a shot.
3 years 6 months ago #59958

Replied by Todd Boland on topic Wifi Issues

Panda Wireless PAU09 did the trick (dual band). I still use a 20ft USB extension cable. It's so nice not to have to battle wifi/networking prior to imaging.
3 years 6 months ago #60269

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Spartacus on topic Wifi Issues

Glad to hear you found a solution!

Mike
3 years 6 months ago #60270

Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.783 seconds